RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Wynman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 1997 13:02:45 -0400 (EDT)
 Jean-Louis wrote:

Greetings, RawFolk--

Bob Wynman here, I believe this is my first contribution since beginning my
subscription a few days ago.  Peter, many thanks for creating & maintaining
this forum.  I wish I'd have become WebLiterate enough to join y'all sooner
(dunno how long my over-full life will allow my participation here.  Fun,
tho!  Please forgive my probable redundancy; I've not yet read all the
Archives.

David? writes:

"Since some Maillard reactions occur during cold storage, certainly a few are
produced naturally too. came across this connection between cold and Maillard
molecules before. It's particularly relevant today because I also learned
this afternoon that although the in-shell almonds I've been eating (from
Jaffe Bros, CA, USA) are not subjected to any heat, they are frozen before
being shipped to Jaffe. I'm not sure how much significance to attach to this,
but  in light of your comment, I'm a bit concerned. Do you know of any other
negative effects of freezing?

**JAFFENUTS**In my last conversation with Al Jaffe, mebbe a year ago , him
assured me that none of their in-shell nuts had been heated over 105F nor
frozen AND that they no longer sell in-shell almonds 'cause their supplier
was not "organic" enough.  He backed up the no-heat statement in writing &
most of the Jaffee in-shell nuts taste heated to me (& to Bruno Comby, when
he visited us X-mas '95).

**FREEZINGFOODS**My understanding is that Malliard Molecules, by definition,
are NOT produced in nature except in rare scenarios like a wildfire. & that
the problem with freezing is that the water becomes ice & the ice crystals
are both sharp & expansive & they burst cell walls, allow chemical mixing of
the intracellular fluids, similar to the mixing produced by a blender or food
processer & that foods with low water content, like nuts, are not
particularly affected by freezing.  Is any of that true, y'all?

Nice to be aboard, thank y'all for your tolerance!\

'ealth, 'appiness & freedom,

B07b