RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:54:23 -0800
http://www.eicotech.com/QandA/questions.html

Do you have questions about the Zone? Here's your chance to ask Dr.
Sears.

On an ongoing basis he will select your best questions and post his
answers below. Even if your question is not posted, be assured that
everyone who writes in will receive a personal response. And if your
question does make it onto the site, we would like to send you a
complimentary box of meal replacement bars as a thank you.

To pose a question, select the "Ask Dr. Sears" icon to the right. For
past answers to other frequently asked questions, go to the Archives.

A special note: Due to the overwhelming response -- and to the fact that
Dr. Sears is now on his book tour -- you can expect some delay in our
response time. By the end of January, however, we should be up to speed.
Thanks for your patience.

         Shirley
         n/a
         Flax Oil

I have two questions regarding flax oil. One, since it contains Omega 3
and Omega 6 is it a good essential fatty acid? If I take one capsule with
breakfast can it count as one fat block?

Flax seed oil is rich in alpha linolenic acid (ALA) an Omega 3 fatty
acid. If you are going to supplement with an Omega 3 oil it should be
fish oil which is rich in eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and has a 10 fold
greater impact on reducing the production of bad eicosanoids than does
ALA. In addition, ALA tends to reduce the production of gamma linolenic
acid (GLA), the building block of good eicosanoids. Therefore,
supplementation with EPA, as opposed to ALA, has a far greater benefit in
getting you to the Zone. But, before you supplement your diet with any
oil, try to gat fatty acids from food itself. The best source of EPA?
Salmon. For further support, call the Zone technical support helpline at
617-639-9627.