RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meredith Westfall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 1996 16:04:00 -0500 (EST)
Hi everyone,
I'm feeling much better than the last time I posted.  Received two books
in the mail, NFL and Zephyr's Instinctive Eating.  I'm still reading
Zephyr's, so I don't have any huge comments as of yet.  With NFL, i found
the book written with a tone if urgency whereas Zephyr's is much
gentler.  In addition, Zephyr touches on some issues that are very
prevalent in myslef at this time.  Reading personal accounts can only be
helpful.
Just got back from Chinatown with my Dad. My Dad is great because he is
so on the fringe and willing to try anything new.  because of this he is
very misunderstood, but I credit him partially for who I am today.
Anyways, we (my suggestion) ended up getting durian.  It was a little
frozen, but completely intact (Kirt this is where you come in).  As I was
eating it (still somewhat frozen because we couldn't wait!), I envisioned
Kirt and Melissa in Thauland having the taste experience of a lifetime.
Man, oh, man that stuff is good.  ? for Kirt...what is a durian stop (as
in instinctive eating) like?  Do they exist (hahahaha!)?

Thanksgiving is going to be just me and my dad...the holidays never
thrilled me-high stress, too much fuss, people worrying, etc.
Last year it was rice and kimchee (spent it with my dad, too!).  This
year I suggested that we have a huge fruit spread, durian included.  When
I mentioned this, my dad's eyes lit up and said, "I could think of
nothing better."  He then went off on the veggies who try and make "it's
-not-turkey-but-it -kinda-tastes-that-way dishes.  Why celebrate when the
native Americans were so horribly abused?  It should be a good day, quiet
and delicious.  I am so grateful for the people on this list-just wanted
to let you all know that.

As I reflect on my life, I realize that I need to be gentler with
myself.  When I measure my success with the general person, I'm doing
quite well(health-wise), and when I see the progress I've made in my own
life, I also see that I'm doing much better now.  The I read someone like
Gabriel Cousens and I feel so inadequate, "Oh, NO!  I've failed." The
reality is that I haven't really, my life is just that, my life.  I'm
seeing how important the whole process is-life as an art form, or
somehting like that.  If I were to me the five years ago me, I'd see
someone very different.  Right now, I feel excited and curious as I am
now seeing that these changes I make  are opening me up to the world and
when this happens the fear subsides.

I smell rambling, so I'll stop here.  Kirt, more comments on durian, please.
Warm thoughts from Boston,
Meredith