RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 14:50:41 -0800
in a recent post, Judy Pokras <[log in to unmask]>, asked regarding
info I posted on a sweet potato salad I tasted at a potluck:

>Thanks for the recipe.  I'm wondering...is it okay or good to combine
>citrus (juice) with starch (sweet potato)?

>I didn't know that was okay to do.  It sounds tasty so I hope it is an okay
>combo.

When I ate it, I didn't know it was marinated with orange juice. Those who
are very strict about food combining might have some reservations about the
combination of a sweet fruit juice and a sweet, starchy tuber (sweet potato).
If you drank orange juice, then immediately ate starchy tubers, the digestion
of the starch might be delayed briefly, until the juice gets absorbed. However
even in that situation, digestive difficulties are unlikely, as orange juice is
absorbed quickly.

The salad in question was marinated, which is to say the sweet potato absorbed
the juice to make a slightly "different" food: a sweeter, juicier sweet
potato. I think that is OK. If you want an example of a sweet, juicy, starchy
tuber, try raw water chestnuts (they're delicious!). Also, I did eat a large
serving of the salad, and experienced no digestive discomfort of any kind.
Without marination or other processing, eating raw sweet potato would be
very difficult - too dry.

One minor clarification for readers regarding the salad "recipe". The sweet
potato was grated in a Champion juicer - i.e., with screen holder but no screen,
no blank plate.  It was not mushy or mealy, which is what you would get if you
put it through a Champion with screen or blank plate in place. Check the owner's
manual for the Champion for further info on using it as a high speed grater.

Tom Billings