RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:46:19 -0700
Jo:
No, and you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that for all the
time and effort (12 years) I put into making the raw vegan diet work,
the results were nonetheless largely dismal for the long term.

Gary:
It seems to me that your symptoms are signs of a possible b12
deficiency. I'm not sure why you seem to rule that out, Jo.

Jo:
I didn't rule out that possibility. But as I've already told you, I
suspect more that a lack of quality fats (and the attendant
micro-nutrients associated with fat metabolism) was a larger factor
in my less than positive long-term experience with raw veganism. By
consuming RAF, I was able to kill two birds with one stone, if
indeed, I was suffering from vitamin B12 deficiency.

Maybe B12 supplementation alone might have done the trick. I don't
know. At this point I don't feel a need to subject my health to any
more suffering to salve my curiosity. Moreover, rather than pot shot
solutions based on musical nutrients, I decided, first, to shed the
dietary identity I had carried for 12 years; I was then unfettered
from any obligation to satisfy theoretical, ethical or spiritual
concerns as a basis of what I ate. And once I ate to nourish my body,
and for no other reason, then I found myself gravitating towards RAF.
And rather than experiencing utter disgust at the thought of
consuming animal source foods, I was SO grateful that I had taken the
opportunity to rebuild my health.

Shedding that dietary identify, especially diet = spirituality, was
one of the most difficult things I've ever done in my life. More so
than listening to the Spice Girls for 4 hours straight (because as
far as I know, they don't have 2 hours of original music in their
repertoire, which necessitates listening to this stuff at least
twice). ;)

Cheers,
Jo