RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 12:39:33 -0900
Don:
>They did say
>that someone was asking about sweetbreads, but they don't normally sell
>them these days. Since sweetbreads are the thymus of a young animal, just
>what is the health issue with them?

Sweetbreads are also the pancreas if I understand it correctly. They go bad
quickly but frozen should be no problem.

>She did say they don't usually sell brains due to the scare these days over
>"mad cow disease". They do have tail for soups, and I'll have to ask next
>week about marrow bones.

Interesting. Tails have the end of the spinal cord and are also a risk for
mad cow (which shouldn't be much of a problem for pastured animals--he said
cavalierly ;))

Marrow bones are tricky. The marrow can be almost as hard as plastic or a
soft as melting butter. I suppose you could cook the harder stuff but it is
almost inedible raw. I've suspected that one end of the bone is with hard
marrow and one end with soft, but have never been able to confirm this, or
even to hypothesize which end (the top?)

Cheers,
Kirt