RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 18:09:31 -0800
John Leschinski <[log in to unmask]>:
>BUT, the truth of the matter is, heating food does NOTHING to
>enhance its nutritional value. I've yet to see anyone disprove that fact.

Tom:
False. Heat renders starch foods more digestible via a process known as
gelatinization. Ref: Mc-Graw Hill Encyclopedia of Science and Technology,
starch entry. Raw rhubarb and kidney beans are toxic; cooked are not.
This subject has been discussed at length before; check archives of the
list for details.

John Leschinski <[log in to unmask]>:
>It seems logic and nature dictate for the best nutritive and non-toxic end
>result, that raw foods supply the highest, most ready supply of nutrients
>and enzymes for optimal healthy physiological conditions.

Tom:
That is the raw "party line", but there is no scientific proof.
Anecdotal proof goes both ways...

John Leschinski <[log in to unmask]>:
>What about the cultures of people that eat a predominantly raw diet and
>claim longevity? (Hunzas, Vilcabambians, etc.)

Tom:
Sorry to disappoint you, but those cultures all eat cooked food (lots
of it) and animal foods. See the book "Long Life Now" by Lee Hitchcox for
details of the Hunza diet.

Tom Billings