RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Nov 1998 13:31:46 -0500
Hi Harris -

Alum (actually, Potassium Aluminum Sulfate, KALSO4, I think) is a very
stable, insoluble aluminum compound. It appears to be safe to use on the
skin because 1) very little absorption occurs and 2) even if a little is
absorbed, it would not ionize (Hmm, sounds a bit like "if nominated I will
not run, if elected I will not serve"). These properties contrast with
aluminum compounds like aluminum chlorhydrate which are commonly used in
anti-perspirants. Aluminum chlorhydrate is very soluble and readily
absorbed. In the body, the aluminum portion ionizes and, in this
free-radical form (AL+++), can pass freely across cell membranes. That's all
I know - I hope it's helpful.

david