RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 19:25:28 -0500
>I understand that there is really no such thing as "cold-pressed,"
>since commercial pressing machinery heats up so much that the oil
>should actually be considered cooked. In addition, there are other
>things done to the oil that require cooking it at high temperatures
>for long times. So "cold-pressed" doesn't really mean anything useful
>at all, if you're concernced about heated oils.

Believe it or not, there are actually companies that do not heat oils above
96 F.  They are few and far inbetween, due to the fact that cold-pressing is
less efficient, more costly, and provides less yield.

One company that I do know of that actually provides cold-pressed (not
heated above 96 F) oils:

Spectrum Naturals
133 Copeland St.
Petaluma , CA