RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Micaela Hoskins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:56:19 -0800
Lucia asked would you tell us something about your experience?

Lucia, let me start by saying my love affair with dolphin has gone on for
years, since I was a child watching Flipper.  I had wished to swim with
Dolphin for over a decade after reading about a place in Australia where the
Dolphin were playing with Humans.  Two years ago, I went to a Hotel in
Hawaii, where  6 or 7 dolphin were caged.  The dolphin seemed to communicate
with me and I truly felt that they understood emotions more than many of the
other animals I have worked with.  I didn't want to swim with the Hotel
dolphin, but I was touched by stories of a pod of wild dolphin that would
come to "visit" the caged dolphins.  I started to earnestly look for ways to
get to Australia, when I discovered that there were wild dolphin in Hawaii
and there were people who had been swimming with them for years and years.

I scheduled my trip and bought a dolphin beanie baby to place by my bedside.
I thought about the dolphin and what I could learn from them.  I was
inspired by the fun and joy they express.  I wondered what they could teach
me about community and working together.  I wasn't particularly looking for
information about health and diet but that seemed to be one of the items on
the agenda for me.

Since I was on vacation, I broke my fairly raw diet and had raw fruit and
corned beef hash for breakfast.  Let me just say I'm sure that was the last
corned beef I will ever have.  I met some raw fooders on the trip and got
leads to this group.  My commitment to my health was greatly increased by
the experience.  I also discovered that exercise is easy under the right
conditions.  I swam for several hours a day when it is almost impossible for
me to tolerate a treadmill for 30 minutes.

To swim with Dolphin is to be part of a group and yet an individual.  It is
also about being in the present.  When the shore is a long ways away, you do
not think about cell phones, responsibilities at the office, or with
arguments with friends.  You can however, note how buoyant you feel, how
comfortable the surroundings are, and how beautiful everything is.  I'm
joyfully planning to go again next year and considering going on a whale
swim as well.

Micaela