RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 07:53:01 -0800
Copyright 1998 by Thomas E. Billings; all rights reserved. Contact
author for permission to republish/repost.

Certain fruitarian extremists promote the lie that I am emaciated and
sickly. Like so much that the extremists say, this is inaccurate.

Although my health is not perfect (no one has "perfect" health),
my height is 6 feet 1 inch, and my weight is over 150 pounds.
I am heavier than most fruitarians (including many extremists),
many of whom are emaciated - especially the 100% raw folks.

Yet another lie promoted by various fruitarian extremists is
that I was never a raw-fooder, never a fruitarian, etc. In reality
I was a fruitarian for 8+ years in the 1970's, on nearly ~100%
fruit for 2 of those years. In the 1980's I was on/off a natural-hygiene
style diet, and in the 90's have a sprout-centered diet. Lately
I have been ~75% raw. (Eating more cooked has increased my strength.)

Certain extremists are happy to tell you lies about me, in order to
to get your attention off the reality that there are no (or
almost no) credible, long-term, strict (100% raw, no cheating or
"exceptions", physically and mentally healthy), fruitarians. (There
are a few potentially credible long-term folks who are non-strict/non-vegan.)

Besides the hostility and dishonesty of certain fruitarian extremists,
there is the crank science factor. Examples of crank science include
intellectually dishonest "theories" like "humans evolved as fruitarians",
"fruit is just like Mother's milk", etc. The "humans evolved as fruitarians"
claim, if it had any genuine evidence behind it, would be really big news in
anthropology. Instead, it occupies a niche on the "lunatic fringe" (my
opinion) of extremist fruitarianism. There is a reason for it - the theory
has no significant evidence, and no validity whatsoever.

P.S. if you have not done so yet, I encourage you to visit the web site
listed below, and read the sample articles. Part 1 of the Paleolithic diet
vs. vegetarianism article series presents a carefully researched and
documented article on the scientific evidence of humanity's evolutionary diet.
When the site opens in full later, there will be more relevant information.

Tom Billings
http://www.beyondveg.com