RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 02:03:39 -0600 (CST)
David said:
>I am looking at this web site right now. They talk a lot about
>impacted fecal matter, 5 to 15 lbs of it, that has been in the colon
>for years and that can come out when fasting. Well, I heard a western
>doctor who has a radio show say this was a bunch of bull. He said he
>had done many autopsies and had never found anything stuck/impacted to
>the intestines walls. I have heard lots of stuff over the years about
>cleaning out the colon. Does anyone here know anything about this?.

Many alternative practitioners now question the validity of the colon
encrustation theory. They argue that what is eliminated from the colon
is not old fecal matter but either a compressed mix of psyllium and
bentonite which are so often taken on cleansing regimens or just
regular body waste material that during a fast or juice diet gets dark
and compacted and sometimes rubbery the shape of the colon. Instead
these practitioners focus on the "leaky gut syndrome" - a condition
where a malfunctioning small intestine causes undigested food fragments
to enter the blood system and seriously tax the immune system.

David said:
>Steve, I too am thinking about going on some sort of fast. As a matter
>of fact I  will soon. Any comments/experiences would be helpful. I am
>curious what people find most beneficial as far as just water or juice
>too? How long? Should one have a doctors guidance( I doubt many dotors
>around here,St.Louis, would know much about fasts).

Try going 3-5 days on fresh vegetable juices for a starter. The
American natural hygiene camp advocates fasting on water only while the
European school believes that juicing is the way to go. For information
on the latter Paavo Arola & Norman Walker were big advocates of juicing
and you will find their books in any health food store. I favor juicing
over fasting myself.

David said:.
>I was wondering what an alkaline regime would be. I don't have a
>juicer right now but should be able to get one soon. In the mean time
>what could I eat? Does using a blender help at all? Bodhi suggested
>sunflower seeds. Do you know if these are alkaline?

Most greens and vegetables are alkaline. Sprouting will make sunflower
seeds alkaline. Juicing, blending or lightly steaming your veggies are
all good ways of getting alkalinity into your system.

Neil said:
>What's 'zone'?

A low-calorie diet that proposes that a correct balance of
macronutrients (protein, fats and carbohydrates) will lead to superior
health. It is a great diet for hypoglycemics as carbohydrates are
balanced at every meal with proteins and fats thereby stabilizing blood
sugar.

Neil said:
>Any links (URLs), mags, books where I can 'read up'?

Http://members.aol.com/ajbloom/zoneveg/index.htm  &
http://fp.bluehawk.com/zone/ are two good places to start.

Marie said:
>You mentioned Castor Oil. Now there's another "goodie."
>I want to pass this information on to all the folks on the list, in
>case they know of anyone who has recently had surgery and is having a
>rough time of it.

Thanks for your great testimonials on castor oil!!

Marie said:
>Can anyone tell me the difference between Vegetarian  and  Vegan?

Vegetarian = no meat or fish.  Vegan  = no animal products whatsoever -
that includes dairy, eggs & honey.

Bhodi said:
>Does ronald schmid calculate his 50% seafood, 50% vegetable diet on
>the basis of weight, volume, or calorie?  how about the rest of you
>that throw around percentages willy-nilly?  (85% raw, etc.) jus'
>curious...

If nothing else is stated the most common measure is calories - except
for natural hygiene type books where volume tends to be the standard.

Bhodi said:
>>theoretically, i like "green kamut" and "just barley", both from
>>the same company.  dried juice, no fiber, no maltodextrin, no cooked
>>brown rice, no kelp (i can take the last item seperately, the former
>>scare me away).

I have been using the two above for the same reasons. The fact the they
are grown on mineral rich volcanic soil in Utah is another attractive
feature of the products.

Bhodi said:
>i value raw-food greatly, as i do the moderator.
>keep up the good work, peter!  i don't envy his position, but i
>support him.  i don't want to see anyone unsubscribed, but i'll live
>with whatever decisions he deems best.

Thanks for your support & understanding, Bhodi. It has at times been
quite a bumpy ride. :-/

Axel said:
>Wait a minute: do they put all that stuff into barleygreen? For sure I
>am not taking it if they do. What is green kamut? Where can I order
>some "just barley", or "green kamut" from? Thanks,

All natural food stores in the US carry them. You can also order direct
from the company with a good discount. I do not have the information at
hand but will post it as soon as I find it.

Roy said:
>excluding yogis of india, right?

Including yogis, maybe 10. ;-)

Michael said:
>I have two main concerns with this diet.  First is the salt content of
>the cheese.  After eating cheese I get very thirsty.  And I sometimes
>verdo the cooked food portion as it is seems easier to prepare.  Also
>when I first switched to this method of eating I felt really good for
>awhile. But that wore off and now I feel more average.  But I have put
>on someweight and my strength is improving.

I will post something about salt soon that might put you a bit at ease
about using it.

Michael said:
>I bought a low-temperature pot that "cooks" at about 70 degrees
>celsius (and takes four hours). They claim leucocytosis (sp?) won't
>happen at low temperatures. I was very suprised to get *taste stops*
>from beets and potatoes prepared this way. With "conventionally"
>steamed veggies I was overeating all the time...

Do you have the name & address of the company?

Best, Peter