RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:41:03 -0800
> Wes wrote:

> >...Or crack open a raw egg into a hot frying pan and watch the
> >coagulation and alteration happen big time.

Irene replied:

> Have to be careful on this one, Wes.  Avidin is a factor in raw egg
> whites which can destroy biotin (a nutrient) in the body.  Cooking
> destroys the avidin, and makes the biotin more available to the body.

Carol wonders:

How many of you folks out there eat raw egg white?  My personal
take on eggs is that only the yolk should really be eaten, raw
or cooked.  I say this because my limited understanding is that
the white is more like skin and feather conditioner for the
growing chick, not nourishment in the same way as the yolk.
Any comments?