RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 1997 13:18:39 -0700 (PDT)
HOW TO SPROUT BUCKWHEAT

(The following is an update of material posted on the veg-raw e-mail list
in January 1996.)

Q: How do I sprout buckwheat?

Answer:
Start with raw *hulled* buckwheat  (not the black unhulled kind). Make certain
the seed you use is raw, as dead/roasted buckwheat is sold for kasha. Note
that roasted buckwheat is usually a light tan/brown color, while raw buckwheat
is mostly greenish/white in color. Check the color when you purchase buckwheat,
as I have seen roasted buckwheat in the "raw buckwheat" bin at a local health
foods store.

To sprout the buckwheat, begin by soaking the seed in water for only 15-20
minutes (that's all, not longer than 25 minutes), and put in the sprouting
environment - the typical jar method or the cloth method (between two wet
washcloths). Buckwheat spoils easily; I think you will get better results using
the cloth method, but if you prefer jars then use them.

Rinse the seed  (and cloth if using that method) every 12 hours or so. If
possible, rinse the seed (and cloth) after 4-6 hours, then again at 12-14 hours.

The sprouts will be ready to eat in 1 day in hot weather, 1.5 days or more in
cool weather. Change cloths at 12/24 hours if using the cloth method. I suggest
using warm (body temperature) water for soaking and rinsing; buckwheat likes
warmth!

It should be mentioned here that some people use the term "sprouted buckwheat"
when they should say "soaked buckwheat" instead. Many people will say that their
dish uses sprouted buckwheat when in fact it contains soaked buckwheat.
(Buckwheat that has been soaked for a long time can get slimy.) Sprouted
buckwheat is probably better for you, but it is much easier to soak buckwheat
and use it in a recipe.

I encourage you to try sprouting buckwheat. It is a tender sprout with a
mild flavor that makes a good breakfast food, and can be used as the base for
many delicious raw desserts. It is also a good alternative to eating sweet
fruits. Enjoy!

Tom Billings