RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert W. Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 04:49:31 EDT

>Submitted to veg-raw by: ombodhi thoren st john
>aloha bob!
>welcome to the party!  thanks for joining us.  have you eaten
>100% raw for 3.5 years, or mostly?  interestingly (to me), i also happen
>to find myself hovering around that 3.5 year mark.  summer of '93 i
first  eard about people who chose not to inflict heat damage upon their
>food. for the 3.5 year designation, i'd fall into the *mostly* category,
>maintaining 100% rawness since the beginning of the year (ten
>months+).

Color me 99 & 44/100ths % raw since Jan, '93.  My violations in the past
12 months have been of the inadvertent nature only.  Prior to that, I
intentionally used small amounts of brewer's yeast (which is cooked ---
anyone know how to get raw b.y.?) semi-regularly, and, in the first year
especially, ate a cooked item experimentally about once every couple
months or so until my body made me realize it didn't want that stuff!
The only cooked food my body didn't object to was miso paste, but I no
longer eat that either, or any other fermented foods.

I'm still working on the other (inadvertent) 0.56%.  I bought some dried
bananas about a year ago that I reacted to poorly (foul-smelling gas and
turds).  That's when I realized that even dried fruit, when dried at high
temperatures is essentially cooked.  Unfortunately, I had bought 16.5 #
of the stuff, so I kept trying to eat it.  Gabriel Cousens says (in
"Spiritual Nutrition and the Rainbow Diet") that cooked food won't cause
leukocytosis if you eat an equal or greater amount of raw food of the
same type first (raw spinach before steamed spinach, for example).  So I
ate a few raw bananas and then a few oz of dried --- no dice; the bod
still didn't like it.  I eventually gave away the last 10 # or so of the
stuff to a non-raw friend.

I now check with vendors to find out the drying temperature of fruit
before buying.  My body's getting to be more sensitive to heat damage
anyway, so it's harder to fool.  For example, I bought some dried dates
and figs at the same time as the bananas.  My body found them both to be
not quite "normal" (stool-odor-wise), but the dates seemed only slightly
heat-damaged and the figs slightly more so, but not as bad as the
bananas.  So I ate them occasionally when fresh fruit wasn't available;
still have some left, which will probably get eaten come winter.

I recently discovered Michael Clingman's raw nut guide on the Internet
(thanks, Michael, if you're reading this --- much appreciated) and found
out that the "raw" shelled brazil nuts I eat sometimes are pre-boiled for
5 minutes in the shelling process.  Interestingly, I digest these much
better than heat-dried fruits, so they probably aren't  too damaged by
this process, but I'll probably stop buying them henceforth just to be
safe unless they are in-shell.

>don weaver inspires me.  he's passed the 20 year benchmark, i
>believe.  he told me he doesn't eat much of any fermented food.  my
>new dentist, thomas stone, has followed his own lifestyle of live
foodery  for 35 circumambulations of the sun.  he told me his "secret"
>-- lots of

>algae!  freshwater & saltwater.  the big three:  super blue green
>algae, dulse, & nori.  (or maybe he had a saltwater big three with kelp
>included?  i can't recall)  he liked spirulina as well, but gave a
>thumb's down on chlorella.  his test involves eating a *lot* of one
>algae, then using careful discrimination when it comes time for
>elimination.  his poop turns green with chlorella, not so with the
>others (sbga & spirulina & [all?] sea vegetables).  holy shit, indeed.
(some assert that the bible refers to algae as "manna from heaven"

I don't know much about SBGA, chlorella, spirulina, and manna from
heaven, but besides being outrageously expensive, I suspect SBGA is a
toxic stimulant, not a food, and don't eat it.  I do eat some seaweeds
(including dulse and nori), and Pines brand dehydrated barleygrass powder
(which I buy in bulk at 40% off).  I also don't consider green turds to
be a definitive test.  I think that condition means that you are not
fully digesting the food, but not that the food itself is necessarily bad
food.  Barleygrass will green my turds if I eat enough of it, but won't
if I eat less.

>i discovered mr. stone's existence through dorleen tong of
>s.f. life (san francisco live food enthusiasts).  i joined the gang back

>when they called themself the "sflfsg" (san francisco living foods
support group).  the name change definitely suits me.

I've met Dorleen via snail-mail and telephone; hope to meet her in person
some day.

>thomas stone, d.d.s., tells me that an average week will put him through
40 pounds of citrus. juiced & whole.  working part time, he makes it out
windsurfing quite often.  i encourage everyone to let this dental artist make
> your mouth his canvas.  he'll coach you to the point where you'll never need to
>see another dentist.

Sounds like too much food to me; too much of a good thing is just as bad
as eating the wrong thing, a fault of my own that I'm trying to correct.
But then again, who am I to question the great Tom Stone?  I hear he's
quite a role model.

>	party on, bob!

>	fruitfully,
>	    	   bodhi

Thanks, Bodhi.  Pardon my ignorance, but is that a male or female name?
Indian nationality, made up, or other?  Just curious.