RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 14:20:41 -0400
Hi Lucia,

> welcome back Paul!
> and thanks for the travel update. boy can I relate!
> yes. yes.

Thanks for the welcome :)

>> I got a terrible headache from eating chicken on the airline on the
>> trip down. I got over that in a day,
>
> you know, you can request vegetarian meals on airplanes...
> better yet: take your own fruit, water, nuts, veggies, whatever.

I did this last year on a trip to SF and it worked out. I did bring a
trail
mix but I did not want to eat too much of this; too many nuts and
seeds are
not good for me. If I had stuck just with the Pulse food for the day I
would
have been OK. Or, I could have brought along a lamb chop and salad
with me,
but I felt I was already traveling heavy.

> I wouldn't trust airline quality chicken. no way. even if I ate meat.
> it's probably the hormones that gave you the headache.
> I get headaches from conventional eggs for that reason.

I wasn't surprised to have this reaction, but I was hungry and gave
in.  The
last time I ate conventional chicken - last Christmastime - I got a
headache
from it. I was hoping I might not have a problem this time. I tell my
folks
I won't eat any non-organic meat at holidays or anytime, so I broke a
rule I
made for myself. I haven't eaten any conventional eggs since the
S.A.D.
days, but I would assume I would react to them also and have no plans
'challenge' myself.

> > then I managed to get some raw vegetables and fruit in the city
> for a few
> > days and they were agreeable, eating them in restaurants or, if
> bought at
> > the grocery, soaking them in a collidal silver solution before
> eating, and
>
> that's interesting way to soak them. hadn't thought of it but it makes
> sense.

It did seem to work out, and with my sensetivity I can usually notice
problems quickly. I don't think the fruits and veggies had high
pesticide
levels, or at least ones that I am particularly sensetive to, as
sometimes
conventional vegetables cause problems for me. But I would not want to
make washing food in an antibiotic solution a regular practice.

> > However on Tuesday, after eating some salmon in a restaurant,
> > drenched in some yellow sauce, I noticed some mucous an hour later
> > and within a day I was miserably sick with a 'cold'. I don't know if
> > the cause was from something in the sauce or the salmon itself.
>
> boy, I can relate to this one!

When I started feeling a sniffly nose and tingling, I immediately
recalled
your experience!

> I also found that when I got sick, upon my return, I expelled an
> extraordinary amount of mucous, as if the getting sick triggered a house
> cleaning beyond the toxins I had ingested. that's good :-)

Yes, same here! I've actually felt I've needed a good 'cold' for some
time
but have not been willing to do a raw vegan cleanse that will produce
'cold'
symptoms for me - because it is weakening and makes it hard for me to
work
and do stuff I need to do. But when I mostly lost my hunger it felt
natural
to just eat lightly on fruits.

> > Although I told Lucy about my diet I think she was uncomfortable with
> > it and we had some communication problems in general, so she told me
> > she could not see me the rest of the week on Wednesday. I have been
> > sad about that.

> I'm sorry to hear that. I encountered some tension and misunderstandings
> about diet as well. One of my hosts in Brazil felt that by refusing some
> of their food I was implying that it was "dirty" and I tried to explain.
> It was hard for her to understand because she did not have this problem in
> reverse, when she came here. but I guess she doesn't realize that we kill
> all forms of life in our water with chlorine so there are no
> micro-organisms left at all to bother anybody. of course the long-term
> effects of the chlorine are much more deadly, but its insiduously slow in
> its impact.

There is plenty of chlorine in Mexico's city water, so it is likely to
me
that risk of contamination from raw vegetables is very small, unless a
specific incidence of contamination was to happen. Food is a big part
of
their culture and, just as in other modern cultures, it is largely not
based on what is healthy or natural but on what is enjoyable or tastes
good.

I could see it affects Lucy like everybody else; she was drinking
sodas
for quick energy and got very tired at the end of a day even quicker
than
I - I told her about my mercury problem and she has a number of
mercury
fillings in her teeth herself. We are all subject to the same laws of
nature.

Paul