RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 18:49:04 +0200
> I found a reference in a book on longevity by Hitchcox
> where the average coloric intake of the Hunzas, the
> Russian Georgians, and the Vilcabamba indians was given.
> All were considerably lower than the American average,
> but the lowest was the Vilcabambas at 1200 cal/day.
> This is a average, and not much higher than Loren's.
>
> --alan

I have read that the average caloric intake in Ethiopia is 1700
cal/day... and part of the population is severely undernourished
there. And even if it is true that Vilcabamba indians get 1200
cal/day, one must keep in mind that they are shorter than Loren (if I
remember correctly, Loren is 6 ft. tall).

Now, I am not questioning Loren's sincerity, but in my opinion:

1) Either Loren is under-reporting: did he actually record exactly
what he has eaten for one week, did he measure portions precisely?

2) Or he is really eating 1000 calories/day. But the, this means that
his metabolism is exceptionally low, and his diet is not applicable to
other humans, except to calorie restricters. And if my memory serves
me right, the few raw vegan calorie restricters I have heard of (like
Bob Avery) eat more than 1000 cal/day and weigh much less than Loren.

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>