RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Irene King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:06:05 PST
My two cents' worth.  ::::Getting on soapbox::::

Humans are essentially delicate creatures.  I mean, look at us.  Naked,
we're nothing. (okay, maybe with the correct amout of strategically
placed silicone ...)  No hair, scales, feather or fur to protect us
against the elements.  Yet we are the only creatures (other than
cockroaches and rats who have moved everywhere with us) that live in
every continent, have conquered nearly every obstacle and are, frankly,
in *charge.*

What does this have to do with cooked/raw food? **Because** we're able
to manipulate our foodstuffs, we can live anywhere we want.  Put the
mighty elephant on the tundra and you'll have a dead elephant in no
time.  A human with a knife and large weapon can find and kill for his
clothes, food, and figure out something for shelter.  What other
creature can do that?

Most of the problem with today's food (genetic engineering and
agri-business aside) is with how it's processed rather than the food
itself.  All (and I mean each and every) long-lived cultures cook some
food.  They live mostly on fresh, natural and largely raw food WHEN THE
WEATHER ALLOWS, but cook and preserve food as needed.  On the other
hand, WE eat food that has been hydrogenated, hydrolyzed, homogenized,
pasteurized, blah blah blah ad infinitum, and our bodies are protesting
the abuse!

However much of our food is cooked or raw is simply of matter of
personal taste and of listening to one's own body.  But if we continue
to abuse it with the manufactured garbage being touted and sold as food,
then we will continue to pay the price in our health and longevity.

::::Off of soapbox ... for now::::

Irene