RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 11:35:34 -0500
>     I am pretty much interested in stats on longevity of vegan vs.
> not-vegan.
>     Done some searches in the web but couldn't find it.
>        If anyone happens to have them or the URL, I would really appreciate.
>
>             Thank's
>                 Helio

I don't have any answer, but I doubt that there exist enough long-time vegans on
earth to make reliable statistics (we would need to find 1000 people who have
been vegan for at least 30 years before their death). Same thing for
raw-fooders: how many people have been on strict raw food for more than 30
years?

For (cooked) vegetarians, there are probably some statistics, which don't mean
anything. A vegetarian doesn't simply avoid meat and fish, but is in general
more health-conscious, perhaps avoids junk food, etc.

Hunter-gatherers, who eat on average 55% calories from animal food, live
surprisingly long despite lack of medical care. In India, where hundreds of
millions are vegetarians, people don't live particularly long.

Jeanne Calment, who recently died at 122, ate cooked, non-vegetarian food.

FWIW,

Jean-Louis