RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 19:15:12 -1000
Ward:
>With a little idle time on my hands today,

The playground of the devil, as I'm sure you've heard.

>I was browsing through the
>latest issue of Science News and noticed they have listed in their book
>corner for this month the title: The Savage Garden--Cultivating Carnivorous
>Plants. Which immediately prompted the extremely tough ethical question :-)
>that everyone should be wrestling with as the next frontier of proper
>ethical eating behavior: If you are a vegan, should you eat a venus flytrap
>or a pitcher plant knowing its last meal might have been a nice juicy
>insect?

Well, I read somewhere (I just don't have the references handy right now
since several types of disasters/disorganisations happened) that both venus
flytraps and pitcher plants have VERY high levels of "naturally-occurring"
carcinogens. Now , I put that phrase in quotes because, obviously, RAF is
not a natural food for green plants!!! So, in other words, it makes sense
to me that such de-evolved plants would be poisonous to human vegan beings.
But, then again with all the demineralized soil out there maybe pitcher
plants would be useful as a supplement if we could flash freeze dry them
and remove those nasty carcinogens and put it in powder form. ??? I don't
know, just thinking out loud.

>Would they be an environmentally efficient addition to the thinking
>organic gardener's biodynamic plot? Just think of the synergistic effects
>of not only eating all the usual fruit in one's diet, but the flies that
>would be attracted--usually a most unpleasant nuisance (and often
>presenting yet another terrible ethical dilemma of whether or not to splat
>them with the flyswatter)--would fit right in.

You clearly don't understand the spiritual subtleties of being a vegan.

>Nature could take its own
>course

Ha!! Nature will take the course that _I_ decide it will take according to
my advanced vegan spirituality. Take its _own_ course?!? Again, you simply
don't understand the first thing about veganism.

>by taking care of the flies with a most efficient form of recycling.
>Certainly very environmentally cool too, ya gotta admit. If I were a vegan
>wanting a little revenge,

Vegans are _not_ vengeful, Ward. You are clueless!!!

>I think the idea might be very attractive to
>consider. I mean think of it: you could have your revenge, and yet at the
>very same time the ramifications could be immense, leading to a rather
>exquisite form of justice and, ultimately, harmony among our fellow
>organismic beings.

Harmony? As long as humans (natural vegans) and some plants (natural
bacteria pooperians and breatharians) continue to consume animal foods
there can be no harmony!!!

>Carnivorous plants for peace and environmental reciprocity! Let's talk
>about it, folks. :-)

Oh, Ward, you're just being sarcastic. But what could we expect from a
person who probably eats all sorts of animals, probably even cooked. So
sad. So verry verrrry sad :(

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft