RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:14:52 -0600
Jo,

> Not at all. I'm glad that whatever you're doing, it's benefiting your state
> of health. Are you involved with physical training as well? Have you
> noticed gains in stamina, strength and flexibility through your evolving
> diet?

Yes, definite gains in strength, stamina, everything. I was amazed at
the dramatic difference after going 100% raw. And such a "light" and
bouyant, effortless feeling. And another neat thing is that I feel more
"in the body", rather than just "the body". Also, a greater feeling of
oneness, connection, confidence, and peace.

Some physical activities that I enjoy include: brisk walking, hiking,
running, pushups, pullups, biking, baseball, softball, etc.. I have
noticed definite improvements in every area. My second day after going
all raw, it was almost a shock as to how effortless I ran up and down an
old mountain range near to where I live. About 4 miles both ways, with
really steep hills, etc... Kind of hard to describe the difference. It's
like before when I was eating cooked, I was essentially carrying a
backpack full of lead weights. After dropping the cooked, it was like I
ditched the 500# gorilla off my back, and started to soar. I tapped into
capabilities I had only previously dreamt of. I felt invulnerable. I
still do, although the grains I began eating brought me down quite a
bit, but now I've dropped them from my diet (I had experimented with raw
soaked grains for a while).

> Right on, Wes! This attitude will help in your other pursuits as well. Keep
> an openness, though, to ideas that challenge your current comfort zone. And
> to be absolutely honest (to yourself) about the results you're getting.

Yes... That attitude is good. It's good to realize that the ultimate
truths for us, come from within, and not off the raw-food email list, or
any number of books; however, having said that, there is much good that
one can derive from these types of outside sources.

As for my "comfort zone", yes I am willing to challenge that as well.
I'm a vegetarian (for many reasons), though it hasn't stopped me from
ordering a copy of Vonderplanitz's "We Want to Live", and reading about
wolfing down dead animal muscles and organs, for example... I am
interested in learning more, it helps build cohesiveness, builds
knowledge, gives one more material to work with, to piece the puzzle
together, all things considered.

Ben,

> everybody to the gospel of raw food according to Ben.  In fact, the funny thing
> is, it was with the same group of people (Kirt, JL, Liza, etc.).  From what I
> remember, we clashed in a similar way to how you're clashing with them now.

Yeah, those guys (and gal) can really be sticklers, huh? :)

> What we have to realize is that our few years of experience are just a drop in
> the bucket on this list; there are decades upon decades of collective experience
> in everything from fruitarianism to instincto and everything in-between.  What's
> more, the majority of experiences may even be different than that of our own.
> Just as you may be offended when they belittle your personal experience, they
> too are offended if/when you overlook theirs.

Yes, no doubt. I have mentioned that I speak mainly from my own
experience, although I have also shared some other information. I think
it can be generalized that cooked meat is toxic, but not everyone
necessarily agrees. However, it would be nice if others would show
something plausible to indicate otherwise regarding matters such as
this. So far, all I've really gotten have been opinions and comments.

> agree.... In general it can be agreed (or at least between you and I) that raw,
> natural foods are very beneficial.  However, think of all of the different races

Well, the starting point is: whole, natural, pure, fresh foods. Then we
go from there. Cooked foods aren't natural or whole, although that
hasn't stopped me from experimenting with them in the past, and
considering some legitimate views on this matter. But at this time, I am
not convinced I should partake in the act of cooking.

> I feel like I should stop babbling, but do you see what I'm trying to say?  Kirt
> may prefer his coconut milk, and you your egg smoothies, and me my raw filet
> mignon.  And hey, it's not the end of the world that we all see things so
> differently.  We'll learn from each other as we share our own experiences.

Yes, many different vantage points -- that's always a good way to find
some sort of a center. You've got info flying at you from all
directions. One person eats mostly fruit, one eats rotten (er, aged)
meat, and another, milk... Many vantage points are valuable; it helps
build creative thinking and new ways of looking at things, nutritionally
and otherwise. This is one reason I think it's good to let it rip, and
get some real discussion happening.

> Lastly, I've got to bring this up...  think of all of your friends in your own
> personal circle.  Do each one of them see things the way you do with the raw
> food?  I can speak for myself and say that most of my friends, while they are

Actually, most of them are eating the SAD, including fried (in
hydrogenated oil) commercial pork, pizzas, microwaved dinners, fast
foods, soda, beer, and so on. A big deal isn't made about what I eat.

> understanding about the way I eat, wouldn't touch a raw steak in a million
> years.  And the best part is that we still eat together and get along, and it's

Just wanted to interject that it's kind of weird that they won't touch a
raw steak, but a cooked one full of carcinogens and heterocyclic amines,
they will... :)

> no big deal. I hope you'll find that it's that way on this list too.  Everybody
> on the list is great, even though I can guarantee that you won't see eye-to-eye
> with every one of them on nutrition.  Hey, that's what this list is for.
> Sharing, learning, and agreeing to disagree.

That's right... I agree with your assessments. What good would this list
be if everybody agreed on everything? Debate can be a very healthy
thing, because oftentimes we come to some sort of certainty this way.
This would be just another boring email list if I was subservient to the
status quo and agreed with everybody and didn't pipe up my opinions and
viewpoints, etc.. This is good and valuable, as long as it doesn't
revert to name calling, such as "cooked carnivorous mutants" (NFL-ish)
and the like.

> Exactly, Wes.  Our opinions will always be changing.  I am looking forward to
> hearing about your experiences with raw food in the future.

I enjoyed your message Ben. However I will say that I don't regret a one
post I've made on this raw food list. But I do get the point of your
message.

Thanks,

Wes