RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Robert Semark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 16:07:35 -0700 (MST)
I would like to comment on Tom Billings information about sunflower sprouts.

> One can think of the sprouts as pre-digested seeds. Unsprouted sunflower seeds
> are high in  fat and protein. However, sprouting activates the seed, with many
> changes as it sprouts: dramatic increase in enzyme levels, seed fats are
> converted to essential fatty acids and carbohydrates, proteins are converted to
> essential amino acids and/or sugars, and vitamin levels (on a dry basis)
> increase substantially. Due to their activate enzymes, sprouts are much easier
> to digest than dry seeds.

Although sprouts are more nutritious than the seed itself, the activated
enzymes do little in the GI tract to enhance absorption.  In fact, the
enzymes may slow digestion and absorption since HCL, pepsin,  and other
gastric acids destroy most of them, thereby decreasing their
impact on other nutrients.  If some make it into the duodenum,
pancreatic acids will degrade them.  Studies in human physiology indicate
that healthy people create an adequate amount of usable enzymes to digest
and assimilate nutrients.  When I taught diet therapy last year, I
surveyed the scientific journals for evidence to the contrary, none
existed.  Another reason why sprouted sunflower seeds may be harder to
digest is the assertion that proteins are converted to essential amino
acids.  Although the protein is broken down into amino acids, it is not
converted into essential amino acids.  The essential amino acids are
already present in the seed, sprouting only breaks the peptide bonds
which releases the AA.  Studies indicate that our GI tract prefers whole
proteins for adequate absorption into the walls of the small intestine.
Amino acids are harder to digest and may cause problems in some people.
That is why amino acid supplements are a waste of money and may be
harmful for most people.  Again, our body prefers whole proteins during
absorption.  When in the small intestine cell wall, the proteins are then
broken down into AA.
If anyone would like an in depth discussion of
this, please send me an e-mail request.

Sprouts are very nutritious,  but should be used in moderation because
they are harder to digest than most other foods and can cause bloating
and gastric distress.

Sincerely,

Larry Semark, PhD, CHES