RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 15:18:36 -0600
The following message was posted a few days ago to the Paleofood list by
Gary Ditta <[log in to unmask]> and is cross-posted to
Raw-food with his permission.

Best, Peter

Thought I'd pass along some first hand information on beef-by-mail. A week
ago I received 35# of beef from Lasater Grasslands Beef. The beef is from
cattle that are entirely range fed on native Colorado pastures that are not
exposed to herbicides or pesticides, nor is fertilizer used to promote
range growth. The cattle receive no hormones or antibiotics.

The price was 2.99 per lb (introductory offer - normally 3.80). The mix
consists of about half ground beef, the remainder steaks and two roasts.
Tastes great. Comes prepackaged in paper in 1# blocks for the ground and
individually wrapped cuts. Shipping cost was about $30. It came in 2 days.
There are various mixes available and there is a web page.

I'm not associated with this operation in any way.

There are many reasons I've wanted to try this. The clincher was an NBC
report about a month ago on how farmers frequently cut the grain they feed
cattle with both sawdust and manure (!) -  believe it or not. Up to 40% of
the grain can be substituted. I checked with an ex farmboy who works in the
building with me and he confirmed that this is pretty standard. After all,
he says, cellulose is cellulose, and that's what cows eat basically. Well,
an egg is an egg too. My wife raises chickens and there is a *big*
difference in both taste and appearance in the eggs depending on whether
she lets them graze outside the cage or just grain feeds them. IMO there
are bound to be similar differences in the beef depending on how the cattle
are fed. The beef is definitely leaner than store bought.

Anyway, if you're interested. the web address is:
http://www.datamade.com/lasatergrasslandsbeef/default.html

and you can also email them for info at:

Gary