RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 14:00:46 -0800
>in that elusive _compassion: the ultimate
>ethic_, victoria produces a quote attributed to the buddha, which
>follows the spirit of, "in the future, there will be those who will
>try to tell you i did not advise against eating meat, and even that i
>ate it myself.  know that none can attain enlightenment who eats the
>flesh of animals."

If eating meat is indeed part of our nutritional make-up and if diet
has anything to do whatever with enlightenment, which I think is highly
unlikely, it would seem that it would be a prerequisite rather than an
obstacle to attaining enlightenment.

>reminded me of my time at the living foods symposium in october '93,
>when someone from the stage (ray kent?) exclaimed, "there will never
>be peace on earth so long as humans eat meat.  no meat, no war."
>well, in sanskrit, the word for "war" translates as "the desire for
>more cows" (some of you tired of hearing this yet?  not me...)

Not that I want to burst your illusion, but Ray Kent is one of the most
bigoted and prejudiced human beings I have ever met.  He is a total
control freak who tolerates no opposition, and is sitting on so much
anger & resentment it will take him many incarnations to resolve it.
He is hardly an authority on issues of peace or spirit and certainly
not one on health & diet.  What he does have is a lot of charisma,
which attracts a lot of women devotees, and the power that follows
somebody who has the complete courage of his convictions.

Best, Peter