RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 1998 08:47:57 -0800
I don't think there is a precise answer about frozen foods, but in
general if you have a small percentage of frozen foods it probably won't
injure you. I believe (from observation) if you eat ONLY cold and frozen
foods it depletes your body simply by robbing you of heat.  Your body
must use up energy simply to digest food, so eating too much cold or
frozen food would rob it of more energy.

> I have a few general questions for anyone.  I know cooking food kills enzymes,
> but what about freezing foods?  Like having an occassional frozen banana or
> frozen grapes for dessert.  If freezing simply diminishes the enzyme content,
> is it significant, or does it vary per food/time frozen/temp?

Fresh juice consumed within a few minutes is probably the best.  When we
travel we sometimes make juice to take with us, and after about 4 hours
it starts to taste different; after 12 hours it tastes unpalatable but
not spoiled, and I trust my taste to tell me things have changed in it.
Second best is fresh that is stored cold as you find in a market that
sells bottled fresh juices.  Canned or bottled juices that are older
than that are absolutely dead, and often cooked (but not clearly
marked).
> How long does the enzymes in juice last before they start to deteriorate?  I
> have heard varying lengths of time that juice will be good for, even that
> commercial juice you buy at the store still has plenty of enzymes.

I have had eyesight improvements via raw diet, by increasing the
proportion of fresh raw vegetables and fresh organic carrot juice with
my other foods.  I am nearsighted and have fought wearing glasses for 26
years.  The sharpness of vision varies with how much I'm stuck on a
computer (work requires this), how much carrots I consume and how much I
do activity that includes far vision (archery and similar stuff helps -
it exercises your eye in the opposite way that reading does).
> Also, has anyone improved their eyesight via a raw food diet?   Lessening
> common problems like nearsightedness?

regards