RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 13:54:47 -0800
Liza May,

I would, like you, also like to NOT have these intense discussions about
what I do and don't eat all the time.  I think I'll try some of your
ideas...it is actually this, rather than anything else about eating raw
that presents the most difficult issues for me, since I have relatively
good/easy access to a wonderful variety of fresh foods.

LIFE F0RCE wrote:
> Since I would rather not turn every social event into a discussion of health
> or nutrition, I try to keep my personal diet invisible.

The closest markets to me are a Japanese grocer that has yellowtail,
halibut and others that look like a wild catch to me; also a large
grocer with a fresh fish counter that often has fresh mahi-mahi,
ahi-tuna, salmon and others which their butchers assure me are fresh
enough to have as sashimi.  I ALWAYS ask the butcher what is appropriate
for sashimi.  The fish in Chinatown, I couldn't give you a lot of info,
sorry, but you can probably find a shopkeeper who can answer questions
for you. My recommendations are to talk with the nearby grocers who
handle large quantities of fresh fish, explain that you really like
japanese food, and ask what they have that is suitable for sashimi or
ceveche.  The butcher knows all, so become friendly with the butcher who
handles the fish.  Despite my upbringing of serving steamed fish whole
(with the head and tail), I really don't like handlnig a whole fish so
buy more frequently from the japanese grocer than from the chinatown
stores.

 Roberta:
> << Fish is excellent, and usually offered live/fresh in tanks - you won't get
> fresher anywhere. >>

> I would love to find fish that I didn't have to worry about! Where is this
> fish raised, that it is so fresh?  We have a small Chinatown here in
> Washington, D.C. - and lots of Asian grocery stores around Maryland and
> Virginia.  What types of fish do you recommend, and why?  Thanks.

regards  r