RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ombodhi thoren st john <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 1996 01:34:52 -0800
verily, verily, doug schwartz wrote:

>  The notion of exercise being good
> is mostly a Western concept, not shared by other medical traditions.
> Certainly the Taoists urged lethargy.  In his "Maximum Lifespan" [I
> have a spare PB copy if anybody wants to buy it] Roy Walford
> reported on yogis he found in the sticks in India who had a 94-950F
> mean internal temperature, eating a minimal diet and living in
> lethargy.  These boys should have incredibly long lives living at
> that temperature.  Elimination is maximal when resting while
> fasting, it is probably at a minimum when exercising.  Exercise
> requires more calories, more calories=faster aging.  About all that
> is good about it is that lactic acid is produced during prolonged
> exertion, & that is an excellent chelator.

aloha!
	doug,
		please don't refrain from posting at length on the health
practices & urgings of the taoists.  can't get enough of that.  i
especially like _the tao of health, sex, & longevity_ by daniel reid.
essential.  even talks of enzymes and raw foods, with a seven day colon
cleanse "fast".  other books by daniel reid i also unreservedly reccomend.
 _chinese herbal medicine_, _traditional chinese medicine_, and others.

	i remember reading roy walford back in high school.  fasting 1 day
a week from reading paul bragg, i considered jacking that up to two days a
week after reading _maximum lifespan_.  now i like the idea of fasting by
the moon.  three days of lemon water at new and/or full moon.  i didn't
read this in any book, it just feels right to me.  also, fasting when free
food ain't around works well on this students budget (which busts on all
the avocados i constantly purchase.  organic hass run 4.29#.  i've even
thought about getting a job (gasp!) to support my avocado-based diet.  yes,
i've got an avocado habit...)

	a job?  perhaps at a local health food store, or working for "new
natives", a local company that grows certified organic alfalfa sprouts,
clover sprouts, buckwheat greens, sunflower greens, cut & uncut wheatgrass,
sprouted garbanzos, & assorted other sprouted legumes.  i'd love to work
around all that biogenic energy, but the bike ride to soquel might not work
so well.  perhaps i'll rejoin yes!  i could also just head for a raw food
scene and look for employment / living situation.  essene communions with
gabriel cousens, green juice with brian clement, instincto with zephyr &
manis & even guy claude.  how about that translation?  anyone willing to
serialize it in veg-raw, or on the web?  i'll settle happily for snailmail.
	i'll happily receive any raw resources that have outlived their
usefulness in your life.  just send them to bodhi at this address:

		ombodhi thoren st john
		134 anthony street
		santa cruz  ca  95060-2402

	sandy labedz has already gotten the ball rolling with a generous
donation to this raw students' living literature.  i will soon receive 25
or so back issues of the m2m in the mail.  now i can call my friend in
goleta and decline their offer to loan me a couple m2m's.  sandy has
presented her complete collection (from issue #1) as a *gift*.  i just
wanted to publicly acknowledge the kindness of this woman who has only met
me through the internet.  if ya'll could send her good vibes, keep her in
your prayers, meditate and dedicate merit to her, whatever works for you,
i'd sure appreciate it.  and, uh, sandy?  whoops, forgot to give you my
address in my reply, so you'll find it above, 'kay?  okay!

> Protein is just plain bad news, raw or cooked, & there is no doubt
> that it should be kept to a minimum.  It can really hang a number on
> your karma too, but I think bodhi is probably a lot more qualified
> to speak to that point than I am.  Earth to bodhster?
>
> --Doug Schwartz

	mork calling orson ... come in orson ... mork calling orson ...
come in orson ...
		  anyone groove on orson welles?  yes or no, i think robert
anton wilson (r.a.w.) wrote intelligently on him.  go ahead and do a web
search for my favorite author, robert anton wilson.  i got into r.a.w.
before raw foodery.  he opened my mind, stretched my realities, with
_illuminatus!_, _schrodinger's cat_, _wilhelm reich in hell_, _reality is
what you can get away with_, _coincidance_, _cosmic trigger_ (vol 1, 2, &
3), _illuminati papers_, _the book of the breast_, _natural law_, _masks of
the illuminati_, and the still-unfinished series _the historical illuminati
chronicles_.
	but i digress.

	doug, i don't know about "protein is just plain bad news", although
i do tend towards eating minimal protein.  when people ask me where i "get"
my protein, i like to first ask them in an identical tone how they "get rid
of" protein, as i try to avoid protein at all costs.  with jaws gaping
open, i share strategies i've devised to avoid protein poisoning.  all raw
beegan.  on the yes! tour i'd often recant the mother's-milk protein rap.
(you know, the highest protein needs probably occur at fastest growth.  as
a newborn infant, we grow the fastest in our lives.  mother's milk designed
by nature as a perfect food, with only 5% of calories from protein.  i've
also heard some breast milk has as low as 2.5%.)  browsing through a copy
of john robbins seminal _diet for a new america_ in a friend's room up at
ucsc today (where it rained on one side of the building and not the other
for a spell), i noted the protein pages, with ranges of 2.5% to 8%, with
some safety margin put in to get 10%.  roger williams mentioned and his
work on biochemical individuality.  i've got a molding copy of roger's work
on my shelf, right next to a few linus pauling tomes.

	karma?  just don't run over my dogma.  karma = cause & effect.
many tibetan buddhists eat meat, but don't kill the animal themself (bad
karma), foisting it upon the (usually foreign, definitely lower "caste")
butcher.  i personally don't buy this karmic switcheroo.  i've heard the
dalai lama ate meat, went vegetarian, then his physician(s?) advised him to
include meat, and now he eats meat.  in his speeches he instructs tibetans
to try cutting down their flesh intake.  i would like more solid
confirmation of this, if anyone knows.  milarepa, tibet's greatest yogi,
retreated to his mountain cave, spending years in meditation, subsisting on
a mono diet of nettles.  tales record how his skin turned green (you
thought carrots coloured ya?), and when he attained the yogic power of
levitation, many locales in tibet reported seeing a "flying green
skeleton."  he got so emaciated, his bones stick out amazingly in artwork
i've seen.	i will post some non-legal excerpts from a new book i
picked up in palo alto recently, _Health for Life: Secrets of Tibetan
Ayurveda_ by robert sachs, foreword by dr. lobsang rapgay.  anyone out
there explored kum nye?  "gentle tibetan hatha yoga" some would describe
it.  two books written by tarthang tulku, called _kum nye_ vol. 1 & 2, if i
recall correctly.  anyone out there with kum nye experience or tips?
taught at the berkeley nyingma institute, i gather.  mentioned in sachs'
book.

	i admit to finding spiritual dimensions of the raw path attractive
& intriguing.  i remember reading somewhere that those who try to live on
only fruit usually do so in a religious context, which i envisioned myself
doing.  the proverbial fourty day fasts of jesus, moses, pythagoras, with
the clear communion and unbroken connection that abstention promised lured
me into plenty of fastin'.  in that elusive _compassion: the ultimate
ethic_, victoria produces a quote attributed to the buddha, which follows
the spirit of, "in the future, there will be those who will try to tell you
i did not advise against eating meat, and even that i ate it myself.  know
that none can attain enlightenment who eats the flesh of animals."
reminded me of my time at the living foods symposium in october '93, when
someone from the stage (ray kent?) exclaimed, "there will never be peace on
earth so long as humans eat meat.  no meat, no war."  well, in sanskrit,
the word for "war" translates as "the desire for more cows" (some of you
tired of hearing this yet?  not me...)

	recently my karma quotient may have slipped.  usually i don't step
on bugs intentionally, swat mosquitoes, crush snails, etc.  recently, i
found that some honey had leaked out onto my kitchen counter, with many
ants gorged on the honey, dead to the world.  having just read veg-raw
messages talking of 1-5% raw animal protein, i shot my finger into the
sweet mess, licking bee vomit & ant carcasses into my mouth.  what have i
become?  will the instinctos win me over?  will i stay vegan, with
unsatisfied curiosity about organic/biodyanic/remineralized eggs?  the
"mammals & reptiles have eaten eggs" argument struck some chord in me.
talking with someone of chimpanzees today, they said that jane goodall
first thought of them as wonderful creatures, then watched as they planned
and executed a war, killing all males of another group.  i wonder if
somewhere a chimp reflects to his fellows, "there will never be peace on
earth so long as chimpanzees eat meat.  no meat, no war."  or a john lennon
chimp, talking of giving peace a chance from a bed-in up in a tree
(tree-in?).

	sandy, can ya still bear to see your m2m's wind up in the hands of
this heretic earthsaver?  my vegan ideals crumble... at least some new
questions have manifested.  obsessed about food?  mmm, a girl at the kresge
food co-op (ucsc) said no pleasure matched food for her.  consistency and
control and chocolate!  she railed against my rawness, but i mellowed her
with a deftly applied back massage.  i try to cure myself and fellow human
beans of touch starvation whenever possible.  i gave five fresh meyer
lemons to a gentleman who had a table filled with literature of marx,
engels, che guevarra, the militant! newspaper, and so on.  he labeled every
idea i presented as "utopian, reactionary... totally reactionary
utopianism."  me, a raw fascist?  i didn't give up on him, and we spouted
our propaganda to each other for quite a spell.  his friend came back from
wherever and looked amused at our energetic debate.  i concluded by giving
him a free copy of "sunfood lifestyle", the old newsletter of the san
francisco living foods support group.  i pointed out the coupon for raw
restaurant, and urged him to go there.  he said he lived in sf.  my buddies
tell me, though, that the last time they went to raw, the prices had
doubled and the portions halved.  my friends feel ripped off, and i hear
rumours about juliano's financial trouble, how he tried to get out early,
how he borrowed 25 grand from an aunt or grandma or something.  rumor mill.
gossip karma.  net karma!
	i met this gorgeous blonde up on campus today, and she grew up in
hawaii.  her parents flew from oahu today to come see her, but her sister
stayed in the warm paradise.  heck, i may just go bum around hawaii,
looking up people i know or know of, like forest (m2m), pangaia, gentle
world, and other temporary autonomous zones.  or maybe i'll head to
vilcabamba.  that seems to be all for now from this tibetan buddhist raw
foodist.

may the schwartz be with you,
			     bodhi