RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 21:15:30 -0800
the following article appears in the latest issue of the SF-LiFE newsletter,
which was recently mailed (most members have received their copies already).
The version below is the mild, published version; my original article included
two paragraphs that sharply criticized those rawists who ignore the hostile
behavior of the extremists in the movement, and support them anyway, because
"they eat a raw lunch, and that's all that matters". I deleted those paragraphs
at the suggestion of a local, anonymous reviewer (yet another anonymous
reviewer - an honorable tradition at SF-LiFE).

I hope you find the article to be of interest.

P.S. separate subject - nuts article updated, will post next week.

P.S. #2 this article appeared in the newsletter before it appeared here, on
Internet.

Regards,
Tom Billings

=============SF-LiFE newsletter article========================

REFLECTIONS ON MY WRITINGS AND APPROACH TO RAW FOODS
A personal opinion by Tom Billings

Important note: this article should be considered as opinion.

Most of the feedback on my writings has been positive, and I am grateful
and pleased that the predominant reaction to my writings is positive.
Let me also say that I welcome constructive criticism of my writings, and
am ready to correct any significant errors in my writings.

My approach to raw foods is based on moderation, common sense, being open
to new ideas, and honestly accepting nature as it really is. My approach
is sharply different from that of certain dietary extremists (zealots).
Indeed, I am strongly anti-extremist, as my experience is that extremists
hurt individual raw fooders, and the movement, far more than they help.

At present, I see the raw (vegan) movement facing significant challenges,
as follows.

* Major parts of the movement have as basis, a model of nature that is
incorrect. For example: "apes are fruitarians" when in fact they are
omnivores; "humans are natural vegans" when in reality the scientific
evidence that we are natural omnivores is overwhelming. (Note: natural
omnivores can still be vegetarians.)

* Widespread denial of reality and excessive idealism, e.g. "the diet is
perfect", "the diet will cure any/all diseases", "the diet will make you
perfect in some way".

* Obsession (life-controlling, in some cases) with food and the body.

* Tolerance of extremism and zealotry, when practiced in the name of rawism.

On the other hand, my ultimate goal is to promote reform within the raw
(vegan) movement, centering on the following areas.

* Accepting nature as it is, accepting reality, and discarding false dogma.

* Promoting an open style that follows common sense, is honest, realistic,
and moderate.

* Pay attention to mental and spiritual health as well, don't focus only on
the body; don't be obsessed with diet or food.

* Helping raw fooders to recognize extremism, and ultimately to ignore the
extremists.

Let me also say that only a few raw fooders are extremists. The number of
realists and moderates is growing rapidly. For example, all of the current
writers in the area of living foods appear to be moderates. So, there is
certainly hope for the movement. The long term goal of my writings is to
promote moderation and reform in rawism, so that the movement can advance
and expand. A raw foods movement dominated by extremists has no chance
of ever going "mainstream", whereas a moderate movement has a chance.

I seek to promote reform within the movement, but there are extremists who
want to prevent any reforms. The raw foods movement can be an open, realistic,
honest movement, or we can cling to false, extremist dogma and be a strange,
food-faddist cult. The choice is ours to make, and the movement will
ultimately reflect our individual choices.

REFLECTIONS ON MY WRITINGS AND APPROACH TO RAW FOODS (continued)
An opinion by Tom Billings

P.S. It is not my intention to (deliberately) dominate the SF-LiFE newsletter.
Members are encouraged to submit articles (that you write) to the SF-LiFE
newsletter, that reflect your views on raw/living foods. The newsletter is
really an open forum for members; it is not "my" newsletter, but "our"
newsletter.  Also, submission of recipes and/or healing stories, is strongly
encouraged.

P.S. #2. If you compare the SF-LiFE newsletter to other rawist newsletters,
you will see that it is not the prettiest looking, but it has real information
content.  The SF-LiFE newsletter also generally comes out "on time", i.e.,
is mailed before each potluck, with the one exception of the June Expo issue,
which was not mailed to (local) members, as we expected them to pick up that
issue at the SF-LiFE Expo.

Tom Billings