RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:30:02 -0500
I would like to clarify about the controversy cooked vs raw. Since this list is
a raw food eating support list, some people might be surprised that we are still
eating raw and demonstrating the advantages of cooking at the same time.

First of all, one can't compare light cooking in the context of a predominantly
raw food diet and SAD. To be more specific, my method of cooking is the
following: vegetables are put in hot water (just below boiling temperature, no
salt) for a few minutes; 3 minutes for broccoli and cauliflower, 1.5 minutes for
spinach. In this way, most vitamins and minerals are still preserved.

Despite the fact that raw food is generally more nutritious when raw, eating
100% raw results in a more restricted diet, and (mild) deficiencies might well
eventually develop. I don't recommend to cook what you would eat raw, since
obviously nothing is gained in the process; but if cooking extends the range of
your diet, then your body probably gets more nutrients.

Cooking can affect a food in two different areas: nutritive value and toxicity.

1) Nutritive value: the fact that cooking increases starch digestibility has
already been mentioned. Another interesting example is beta-carotene (precursor
of vitamin A) in vegetables which is more bioavailable if the food has been
cooked lightly. Finally, anyone will admit that heating tenderizes foods such as
fresh meat and tough vegetables.

One the other hand, severe cooking results in the formation of Maillard
molecules, whose main adverse effects are various anti-nutrient properties. In
particular, proteins lose digestibility value (lysine is the most affected
amino-acid). The higher the temperature, and the longer the processing time, the
higher the proportion of unavailable lysine.

Of course, heating also destroys vitamins. Coming back to our beta-carotenes,
despite being more available after light cooking, further cooking results in the
creation of unusable stereoisomers which might inhibit the absorption of the
naturally occurring form.

When cooking in boiling water, part of the minerals are released in the water.
And finally, cooking destroys enzymes; however, I have been unable to evaluate
the importance of enzymes in human health. Dr Edward Howell has published books
on this topic, but references are rather old (from the '20s and the '30s), and
some arguments subject to discussion.

2) Toxicity: Cooking often destroys some (but not all) anti-nutrients, like
anti-trypsins in legumes, perhaps some natural toxins.

On the other hand, some toxic compounds may be created, like: heterocyclic
amines (mainly in meat and fish cooked at high temperatures, like grilled or
fried meat); polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, mainly in meat at grilling
temperature (however, RAW vegetables cultivated in polluted areas ARE
substantial sources of PAHs). These are mutagenic, and probably carcinogenic.

It's not clear whether Maillard molecules are toxic or not. In particular, they
may have some mutagenicity, and some anti-mutagenicity properties.

Also, when searching in abstracts, one realizes that Maillard reactions occur
naturally in the body (like on collagen proteins). They may play a role in
aging. In addition, Maillard reactions occur at a faster rate in diabetics.
I am unable to determine whether Maillard molecules from cooked food are
absorbed or not, whether the quantity of such molecules is similar to those
which are created naturally inside the body, and whether, once absorbed, they
have any influence on human health.

-------------
In summary:

 A- One gains nothing by cooking foods that we would eat raw (like fruits)

 B- By cooking lightly, availability of some nutrients may be enhanced, some
anti-nutrients and may be destroyed; very little vitamins and minerals are
destroyed; very little Maillard molecules are produced. None of the most toxic
compounds (PAHs, etc) are created.

In addition, cooking enables us to get some nutrients that we would find less
easily in raw foods.

 C- Further cooking results in further losses and creation of toxic compounds,
and nothing is gained in the process.

Substantiated comments and additions are welcome.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis