RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Shawn Luca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 08:51:08 -0400
Julia,
I can sympathize with your sleep situation.  For about the first six months
of this year, I would doze off at work, in front of my computer, every
day, and I just assumed it was because I was bored.  At the time, I was
getting about 5-6 hours of sleep a night.  Then, after a particularly
exhausting week at work (last July), my body just couldn't take it
anymore, and I spent an entire weekend in bed (watching the Olympics
between naps).  That's when i realized that my body was telling me
something.

First some things about myself.  I work out every day, and walk over a
mile to work in the morning (when I'm not in a big hurry).  I've been doing
raw for only about 4 weeks now, so I don't now how that relates, but at
the time, I was eating whole foods (albeit some cooked) and drinking
fresh carrot juice daily (still do usually).  I also eat a LOT of fresh fruit,
mostly in the morning.  I used to love coffee, but I never drank enough to
get hooked, and I gave it up completely on April 1 of this year.

So after that episode in bed, I decided to force myself to go to bed at 9
every nite, since I get up at 5 to work out and I didn't want to give up my
early workout and pre-rush-hour commute to work.  Immediately after I
started getting 8 hours of sleep, I noticed that I didn't fall asleep at work
anymore, no more how bored I was.  I do go to church occasionally, and
I always used to fall asleep during the preacher's sermon.  But then,
after my 8-hour sleep minimum, I noticed that I don't fall asleep at church
anymore either.  It's amazing to me how much an hour or two extra of
sleep can make a difference in your life.  Of course, sticking to my 9pm
bedtime is still hard, and I have stayed up a few times this week past 9
(and I've dozed off at work the day after).  Sometimes I compensate and
don't get up until 6 (if I'm in bed by 10).  I don't now how much you can
relate to my situation, but I think you just need to find the ideal amount of
sleep for yourself and stick to it, religiously (so to speak).  Your body will
thank you.

Now about blood sugar.  As I said, I eat a lot of fresh fruit, especially
bananas.  Some people have said that they have blood sugar problems
and eating sweet fruits exacerbates them, but I can honestly say that
I've never experienced a high or a low from eating fruit or honey (or
even sugary foods, pre-raw).  Especially since I started working out,
cutting out the bad foods (like coffee) and eating more whole foods, I
have had so much energy, it's great.  I'm very energetic, and I think that
the quantity of fruit I eat doesn't bother me because I exercise and walk
a lot, and I always take the stairs or walk up escalators.  I remember
going to New York on Memorial Day weekend with two friends, and I had
them walking all over the Island of Manhattan.  I walked their legs off and
they begged me to stop.  And that was only a half a day's worth of
walking.  I could of walked the rest of the day.  (Of course, I slept very
well that night.)  It happened also when my parents and sister came to
visit me here in DC.  Then I walked their legs off, too.

What's my point?  Well, I think that any exercise, if done daily (or
regularly) will boost your energy level and rev up your metabolism, not to
mention make your heart stronger.  But definitely get enough sleep for
your own needs.  You may have to experiment with how much is too
much or too little for you, but it's worth the trouble.  As for blood sugar,
unless you're hypoglycemic or have a weight problem, I wouldn't worry
about it, as long as you get your sugar in a raw state.  (I'm not an expert,
so any of you health experts please correct me if I'm wrong here.)  I read
with amazement the messages from people who have to watch how
much fruit they eat and have to make sure their blood sugar doesn't get
too high.  I've sincerely never experienced anything like that.  I guess I'm
just blessed in that way.

Hope this helps.

Shawn