RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:32:25 -0700 (PDT)
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>:
>I experienced that once: I ate a papaya at breakfast in the morning
>(and nothing else), and it came out about 2 hours later, watery and
>loose. I don't know to what extent it was digested, but the final
>volume was about the same. I didn't understand why the instinct didn't
>work (because the fruit was really delicious). Did I make mistakes the
>day before? Or is modern papaya too denatured?

Tom:
I would speculate that the papaya might be denatured in some manner:
1) not only are market papayas unripe when picked, they are actually immature.
(Some fruit is picked unripe but mature; it is called "mature-green" fruit.)
The reason for doing this is is that ripe or even mature green papaya will
not survive the hot water treatments used to kill fruit fly larvae.
2) There is a huge difference between wild and cultivated papayas. Wild
papayas are usually small, with a stronger flavor, and usualy not as sweet
as the cultivated.

Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>:
>A few remarks about insufficient digestion and emaciation:

Tom:
Thanks for your interesting and informative comments!

Regards,
Tom Billings