RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:51:40 -0400
Hi Marjolein,

Just to respond to a couple of your replies.

> I don't understand exactly why eating protein at each meal will cut sugar
> cravings. Could you explain this? I happen to be a convinced vegetarian.
> Making me eat meat is very difficult. Could I substitute with tofu?

What has made you a convinced vegetarian? Ethical concerns or love on
animals? (very understandable). Or the idea that a veggie diet is best
for
health? (very questionable, especially for anyone with a chronic yeast
condition).

It is my personal experience that all-veggie meals just don't give me
'staying power' and I get hungry between meals, and then overeat on
high-carb snacks (and eat too many carbs overall). Perhaps if I was
assimilating better I would be fine with less protein, but that's
debatable.
I know that I do assimilate much better than I used to.

Tofu is problematic for a few reasons I have read about - presence of
enzyme
inhibitors not totally removed by processing, a less than ideal
amino-acid
balance, and, when compared to high-quality animal foods they might
substitute for, a lack of many beneficial coenzymes and other
nutrients.
Maybe as a woman the soy phytoestrogens might counterbalance some of
the
detriments if you need those effects.

I tried a high-tofu, mostly veggie diet about 3 years ago, and the
result
I'm convinced contributed to  hypothyroidism. I had to take thyroid
pills
for awhile to function half-normally. Raw foods and more and more
balanced
protein, avoiding the toxins in factory-farmed animals, and by and
large
avoiding anti-nutrients such as found in tofu and broccoli, helped
reverse
the problem, and I don't need the pills anymore. My hands and feet are
nice
and warm these days (despite the so-called 'cooling' effects people
might
expect from eating so much raw food!). I'm not actually allergic to
tofu,
though, and I have eaten it a couple of times over the last few
months.

> also understand that although I'm not a meat eater, it's still
> better not to
> combine carbohydrates and proteins into one meal.

Some people experience this, but one of the potential benefits of raw
is
that it is often less of an issue.

> I was also adviced not to eat the same food twice within 4 days in a row
> (rotating food).

Although I'm very sensetive to things, I've eaten certain staple foods
that
have been beneficial to me almost daily for years now (organic
red-leaf
lettuce, red onions, carrots, Country Hen eggs) with no signs at all
of
allergenicity. I also had a blood test a few years ago that claimed
severe
allergy to egg. In contrast though, I'm sensetive to certain foods
when
cooked but not when raw (and others are OK lightly-cooked or raw), and
no
blood test or alternative-MD ever told me about this possibility -
after
doing a bit of reading and experimenting I discovered it myself.

So I think the allergy potential, or what is assumed to be allergy but
is
really just sensetivity, of raw-edible foods may often be based more
on the
quality of the food, or denaturing or lack of, than the type. Rotating
'non-edible-raw' foods like rice or beans or tofu, or dairy that you
can
only get in their pasteurized forms but would be much better raw, may
be
more useful.

> I'm using organic rice (full rice, my dictionary calls is unpolished rice,
> what's the English word for it anyway?)

Brown rice??? Some people feel white basmati rice is actually best and
easiest to digest, and that brown rice is often rancid. Buckwheat is a
good
gluten-free 'alternative' grain, but it seems that all grains when
overeaten
tend to promote yeast overgrowth.

Paul