RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:32:40 -0500
Fred:
> mountain gorillas are total vegans.

They eat very little animal food, but are not vegans (see Tom's post). Besides,
we are not gorillas (one may wonder if the IQ of the NFL authors matches closely
that of gorillas ;) ). Seriously, humans probably have very different
nutritional needs, partly due to their history of meat eating. And gorillas eat
mostly non-fruit plant foods (so, nothing to do with the high-fruit diet that
NFL recommends), spend each day a considerable of time searching for food and
chewing, chewing, chewing... I am glad I am a human!

> Humans are totally revolted by the idea of killing another animal,

Not in hunter-gatherer societies (and their skills are truly impressive). And
even in developed countries, most people don't mind killing ants or mosquitoes,
and are not revolted by the idea of fishing. At least in France (I don't know
about the US), oysters are eaten live and living lobsters are put in the oven.
Certainly, most people are unable to kill a chicken, but I am sure that farmers
(or at least traditional farmers) can.

Note: I am not telling anyone to eat animal flesh. Vegetarian diets including
dairy can work fine.

> Hey, Tom, I think that your newsletter is cool. But what I'm saying is
> that there's a need for a book like NFL. People NEED that kind of stuff
> to get motivated.

I think that extreme ideas will only attract extreme people. If you don't like
that term, let's say that radical books will only attract a small part of the
population, most of which will eventually come back to SAD for various reasons,
like inability to follow a too restrictive diet and social pressure.

> As for my personal diet, I don't
> eat the same way that David or Steven eat, I just follow my instincts,
> and according to where I am right now on this path to health.

I think like you that it's important that each person finds his own path
(instead of obeying to a dubious authority), and listens to his body.

Best wishes,

Jean-Louis