RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric (Ric) Lambart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:22:59 -0700
Sandy:
>If melatonin is an essential nutrient, I must be getting more than my
>share!  Since May I've been eating lots of raw (soaked overnight and
>rinsed) oats and rice (averaging maybe 4-6 oz/day) and lots in raw
>organic tomatoes this past month.  Hasn't put me to sleep yet,
>fortunately, but then I rarely eat within 4 hours of bedtime.  It's
>against my "religion."

First...I've been trying with limited success to convert to your "religion"
for some time.  Bad habit of snacking near bedtime, but, with me, it
triggers my slumber switch.  Is it the melatonin component, or simply the
digestive load signal?  Did you get this "religion" by sheer discipline...or
what?

As for the melatonin content of the above foods, and, in particular, those
you are consuming so heartily thereof at this point, wonder how much of that
particular constituent is actually available, especially the meletonin in
the grains.  Anybody have any info on the actual bio-availability of the mel
in the grains?

Ric