RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 18:19:52 -1000
Susan:
>I have ordered some brains from Saveon Foods. How safe could these organ
>meats be? I thought I would cook them. How about brain pemmican or raw brains.
>I enjoyed creamed brains/sweetbreads in the past. Are there some other
>cooking methods that would be interesting?

I don't know any recipes, but brains are too fatty to make pemmican. (Peter
might know if the raw organ guy has ever dried brains--might be tricky.) I
have eaten raw brains on a few occasions with high pleasure. However, you
should know that that is supposedly where the mad cow disease is hosted:
brain and spinal tissue. Organ meats don't keep very well--cooking might be
the way to go unless and until you have some other experience eating raw
animal foods...

It's a tough issue to talk about because I don't want to lead you to think
that there is no worry whatsoever, but I know from personal experience that
I don't fall over dead from eating raw organs when they taste good au
naturel. YMMV.

Good luck with your organs and let is know how it goes, eh?

Cheers,
Kirt

PS--I'm gonna be lurking only for a while, a couple weeks at least...

Secola  /\  Nieft