RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Hovila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 11:02:02 -0700
Joel,

> supplementing for b12 is imperative for vegans.  contrary to alternative
> opinion, tempeh and sea vegetables do not have b12, just bioinactive
> analogues that pass for b12 in tests.

Gabriel Cousens in his book Conscious Eating cites research financed
by the
Maine Sea Vegetable Company which found that kelp, alaria, dulse and
laver
all have high amounts of human utilizable B12.  The independent lab
which
examined these foods at the request of the company found, for
instance, that
dulse has 2.05 ug of human active B12 per 100 grams.  This means,
according
to Cousens, that one half ounce of dulse per day will supply the daily
requirement for B12.

"Human active B12" is not an analogue, as Cousens explains elsewhere
in the
book.  I will contact the company to see if they are willing to make
the
research available for us to see.

I have also read in numerous places that cooking destroys B12.

Francis's "low" B12 finding may not be a problem at all, since she had
no
symptoms.

Mark