RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 19:22:22 +0200
On 28 Sep 1997 (!!), Peter Brandt wrote:

>> Subject: New book on instinctive nutrition
>>
>> For those of you who read French, Dr Seignalet, a long time supporter of
>> G.C. Burger has recently put out a book out called "Alimentation, la
>> troisième medecine" (Food the third medicine).

Well, I just found the book. The third (revised and augmented) edition
of "L'alimentation ou la troisième médecine",
by Dr Jean Seignalet

(in French, 490 pages, 180 F) can be purchased from

Editions François-Xavier de Guibert
3 Rue Jean-François Gerbillon
75006 Paris
France

Opening hours: Monday-Friday, 9-12 a.m. and 2-6 p.m.
Tel: 01 45 48 97 77
Fax: 01 42 22 56 69
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

I don't know if they can ship books abroad or if they accept other
currencies than francs. If not, send me an e-mail privately, I can try
to send you a copy.

---------------

Contrary to what Peter said, the book is not about instinctive
nutrition, but many of the author's ideas are inspired from
Burger's. The diet he recommends:

-Avoid: wheat, most cereals (rye, oats, corn, barley) [but rice is
allowed], dairy, refined salt, non-organic chocolate [black organic
chocolate is tolerated in moderation], jams, hydrogenated oils,
margarines, beers, canned foods.

-Not recommended: all cooked foods, in particular cooked meat, cooked
eggs, cooked oils, cooked nuts. If one chooses to cook some foods,
prefer brief cooking times and low temperatures (steaming). The author
admits, however, that people may find raw wild game or raw organ foods
difficult to eat, so admits them on an exceptional basis. Eggs should
be eaten raw (white may be discarded), but those who don't want to may
soft-boil them lightly.

-Allowed: raw meat, raw pork products ("charcuterie"), raw eggs, raw
fish and shellfish, smoked fish (in moderation), green vegetables
(steamed), legumes (steamed), soy (soymilk, soy yoghurt), raw
vegetables, fresh fruits, dry fruits, raw nuts, honey, pollen, rice,
buckwheat, sesame, sprouts from "ancestral" grains and legumes,
extra-virgin cold-pressed oils, unrefined salt (in moderation),
unrefined sugar, tap and mineral water, infusions, chicory, coffee (in
moderation), tea (in moderation), alcoholic beverages (in moderation)
except beer.

-Other recommendations: frozen foods are allowed; eat preferably
organic; eat animal proteins once a day only; take lactic ferments
[?]; supplement with vitamins, magnesium and oligo-elements.

--------
He comments on Burger's theory of instincto-nutrition in detail, and
says in particular that
-Burger's theory is sound
-Instincto-nutrition is difficult because one needs to have an
abundant supply of "original" foods.
-It is relatively expensive.
-It is very restrictive, since its adepts, who eat totally raw, avoid
condiments, coffee, tea and alcoholic beverages completely.
-It is asocial, since one cannot go to restaurants or accept
invitations from friends who don't eat in the same way. The fact that
one needs to smell all foods in succession excludes all contact with
non-initiated people. Those of Burger's disciples who don't want to
stay alone sometimes tend to get together at mealtimes, each one
bringing a few "original" products (...). Such meetings look a
little bit like sect gatherings.
-The main criticism to Burger that one can make, is to claim that his
method is efficient for everyone, for every illness. This is wrong
because:
* Some ailments are only remotely related to nutrition, if at all;
* Even in ailments related to nutrition, there is always a more or
less important percentage of patients who don't respond well to the
nutritional changes.

In short, Dr Seignalet finds that the regimen he proposes is
"certainly less perfect than Burger's. But it is much easier in
practice, and is still compatible with a normal social life".

----------
Seignalet's book talks extensively about: evolution and nutrition,
genetics, environment, immunology, many illnesses (of which he
presents known mechanisms, hypotheses, conventional treatments and
their results, effects of diet), theory of toxemia and
detoxification. He relates the remarkable results he obtained with his
patients, and honestly admits that food is not panacea (not everyone
heals on his diet). His approach is globally realistic, scientific,
and his book is educative for those interested in biology. Overall, an
excellent book, a lot to read!

--Jean-Louis Tu <[log in to unmask]>