RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stefan Joest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 1997 11:57:09 +0000
Peter, thank you for the interesting article about natural and refined salt.

>The Taste Test.

>Using the taste buds to track down refined salt is often the ultimate=20
>and most telling way.  To establish the benchmark for the comparison,=20
>one or two crystals of Celtic salt are placed on the tongue and the=20
>saliva allowed to dissolve them.  This is the guiding mark and once the=20
>flavor has been duly noted, the mouth is rinsed with clear water.  A=20
>similar amount of the questioned salt is then tasted in the same way. =20
>This test is usually more than sufficient to decide if a new salt is=20
>genuine natural sea salt or a refined product that has been=20
>masquerading as the real thing.

Unfortunately this test doesn't say,   h o w   the tastes of refined and
natural salt differ.
So here is my instinctive view of this point:

Natural salt is part of instinctive nutrition. For best digestion it should
be handled like protein (this is its classification from instinctive theory=
).
I haven't got experience with eating more than some crystals of salt but
other instinctos tell me, that eating a teaspoon disturbs the digestion a
lot if mixed with fruits.
So I recommend eating it at the evening meal and continuing the meal with
vegetables.
Personally I rarely have had a need for pure salt. Most times it is in hot
summers. Instinctos who traveled into tropic areas told me that they un-
expectedly needed a lot of salt there because it was so hot and humid that
they sweated more than usually. They needed about one teaspoon per day!

Now back to the test:
compared to each other or, if you have a good memory, tasted at different
opportunities, refined salt tastes (for me) only salty, nothing more. It
feels empty. If I try to find a stop it is coming late. The stop is weak
and may be overheard for a while.
Natural sea salt is a bunch of different tastes of which salty is only one.
It has a deep taste, rich, full of different salty components. If I try to
find a stop it is coming very early except for hot summer times as mentione=
above. The stop is unbreakable.

Salty greetings to you all

Stefan