RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:08:21 -0700
--

>  "Dr. Guillermo Vela of Quito found a strikingly
>  low caloric consumption also amoung the elderly
>  of Vilcabamba.  The average daily diet provided
>  1,200 calories.  The daily protein intake was 35
>  to 38 grams, and of fat only 12 to 19 grams; 200
>  to 260 grams of carbohydrate completed the diet.
>  Protein and fat again were largely of vegetable
>  origin, with only some 12 grams of protein daily
>  from animal sources.  Needless to say, one sees
>  no obesity amoung the elderly in either Vilcabamba
>  or Hunza; neither were there signs of under-
>  nutrition."

Note that the article seem to mention the calorie intake of ederly
peoples.
It is well known that as we age, we eat less and less. My father .for
example have been a big meals eater most of his life , but now that he
is 75
he just get content with few fruits and a salad a day.
i don't know the physiology behind this little calorie intake of
ederly
people, even when they are actif and energetic like my father's father
was.
This grand father was doing  exercises 1st thing  in the morning,( at
80 he
was still able to bring his foot behind his ear, something that i
don't
remember  ever,  having being able to  do ...)  was maintening a big
garden,
and was riding his bike all over the places in his village and was
eating
very small portions of food.
jean-claude