RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 07:24:45 -0700

Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

>> I just read on a bottle of "Bjorg" sunflower oil:
>>
>> "[The oil] is cold-pressed (T<60°)"
>>
>> Notes:
>> * 60 deg C = 140 deg F
>> * I don't know about other types or brands of oils
>> * I suspect that at these temperatures, there is very little
>> denaturation, and that proper storage conditions are more important
>> than the temperature reached during extraction.

Carol:
Nice of the Bjorg folks to get specific! As for the effect of such
heat during extraction, I would guess that it varies widely with the
type of oil being so exposed, and I think one can probably get a good
idea of a particular oil's level of fragility by looking at the storage
instructions. If I remember right, sunflower is one of the toughest
ones, able to stay at room temperature for months, while others (such
as flax) shouldn't be out of the refrigerator for more than a moment.
(Even in the refrigerator, it doesn't last long.)

Tricky stuff, oil. :)