RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 00:25:18 -0700

>>I'm sorry to hear that you have become a little afraid of being
>>enthusiastic.

You must have misunderstanding me

>>You said:
>>> If you are enthousiast to the present moment that is great , the problem
>>> arise when you get enthousiast for the future ( expecting certain
>outcomes )
>>> or for ideas that might not hold their promises . the result often is a
>>> counterreaction of blocking the source of enthousiasm . And you end up
>>> sarcastic at the enthousiasm of others judmental and cynical.
>>
>>I like enthusiasm.
>>I think "enthusiasm for the future" is a wonderful thing.
>>I think that "expecting certain outcomes" is a
>>great way to approach life. (The word for this in English is
>>"optimism").

I may be used the wrong word,  instead of expecting read demanding.

Optimism that i experience myself having is stemming from a
"confidence"
that needs can be met and will be met but they might not be met in the
specific form that we demand.

>>I think that "expecting certain outcomes," even when -
>>as you say above - "ideas might not hold their promises" - is a
>>terrific point of view to adopt.
>>
>>If, as a result, you end up "sarcastic" or "judgemental and
>>cynical," then there is some other problem going on.
>>
>>Think again of children: If they became "sarcastic, judgemental, and
>>cynical" after all the zillions of failed attempts at learning to
>>walk (or all the other things they rush into with great "enthusiasm"
>>and with no "adult discretion") - then they (we) would probably all
>>be sarcastic, judgemental, and cynical - and at a very young age.

that is the real enthusiasm that was talking about there is great joy
at
exploring a new way of being in the experience itself . Yound peoples
can
become cynical ( i worked with delinquant teenagers ) when they lose
the
confidence that enthusiasm can bring them what they need

>>I like to see people be "foolishly" expectant of great things,
>>"naively" enthusiastic, "maddeningly" cheerful, and STUBBORNLY
>>optimistic. In my opinion it is a healthy attitude.

I am certainly an idealist that enjoy to try new ways of being  and
knows
that it will be for the best. I never regret anything i have done
every
experience
contributed to where i am now .

>>And if things don't turn out the way you had hoped (as in - fruit
>>makes your teeth fall out) - you laugh about what a mistake THAT
>>was, and then go on enthusiastically to try your hand at your next
>>thing, now that you're a little smarter.

that is one  way of doing things , i still prefer myself not wait to
have my
teeth falling out to realise that i missplaced my enthusiasm ( in the
idea
instead of the experience)

>>> addictions are not horribles  a definition of insanity given in the 12
>step
>>> program ( who deal with adictive behavior ) is to do the same thing over
>and
>>> over and expecting a different result ,it is like sin who means missing
>the
>>> target.
>>> We expect satisfaction from denaturing our foods and obviously we don't
>>> because are going farther and farther in that direction.
>>

>>I don't agree with this definition of addiction, and I don't see the
>>eating of cooked foods (which you call "denatured" above) as an
>>addiction. (Well - ANYTHING can become an addiction, as you know.
>>Anything. Bowling can be an addiction. Scratching your chin can.
>>Writing
>>emails can. Eating carrots can. Excercising can. Sticking to highly
>>defined diets can. So "eating cooked foods" can too.

it is  why i don't say that cooked foods are addictive per se (
neither
drugs nor  alcohol ) addictions come from a compulsive attitude to try
fulfill a need by a mean that doesn't respond totally to it ( only
partially and for a short term) but when you don't know any better
way....
like a coffee will give " energy to somebody who feel tired.

>>But in my opinion "eating cooked foods" is not BIOCHEMICALLY,
>>physiologically
>>addictive like, say, heroin or nicotine.

why is it so difficult to go without , if physiologically there is not
some
kind of   reward ?
If anything can be addictive ( like i will agree) then there is
allways a
biochemical and physiological impact.
some molecules have obviously more disturbing impact than others.( and
it is
proportional to the unexpectancy of the body to ever enconter such
molecules
in natural conditions)
the question is: is the denaturation of food is  bringing us what we
really
need ?
if you think it does why do we denature more and more our foods  in an
endless quest , why do we
created all thoses artificial means to feed ourselves ? we are looking
obviously into the wrong direction.

>>I don't think that "doing the same thing over and over and expecting
>>a different result" has much at all to do with the reasons for, or
>>mechanism of, addictions.

so what is the reasons and mechanisms of addictions ? ( i didn't say
that
<doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
>is
the reason of addiction but it is what we do when we indulge in a
behavior
in a compusive way.)

>>> an essential element in the trend we are collectively following.
>>> The trend is  one of self abuse and self destruction ( either by
>autoimmune
>>> processes or destruction of the environment and genocids.
>>
>>Jean-Claude, this is a terribly negative view of life, and of us
>>humans. It's a lopsided, jaded, and inaccurate way to look at our
>>history, and I'm sorry to hear you have to go along through your
>>days, seeing things in this way.

I think it is a very positive attitude to look at and face  what does
not
bring happiness and propose alternatives . it will be very negatif if
i was
left  only with that  view and not seeing in the situation itself  the
answers.
I see the desire of separating ourselves from what support us as self
abuse
because what we do to our environment we are doing it  to ourselves.
We are
not separated.

>>The reality is that the history of our speedy evolution is one of
>>remarkably "pro life" trends, not at all "self-destructive" ones.
>>Life has gotten incomparably better for us as a species. Think about
>>it!

the desertification process that goes with every rise of
civilizations is
self destructive .
i see the speedy evolution and mondialisation of the occidental
culture
precipitating that destruction.

I see cooking as a way to "improve" our situation in the food chain at
the
root of the desertification.
so even if it is better it might no be for long anymore. The awakening
up
from burying the head in the sand of that desert might be chocking to
more
than one.

jean-claude