RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Wuts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 09:49:20 -0800
I want to bring up the issue of enzyme inhibitors in seeds and beans.
I am reading Dr. Edward Howell's book "Enzyme Nutrition" and he shows
it is better to eat cooked beans than raw unsprouted/unsoaked beans, at
least in relationship to enzymes. He showed that animals that eat
cooked soybeans gain weight faster than animals eating raw unsoaked
soybeans, and the animals eating raw had more enlargement of the
pancreas. This shows that cooked soybeans are assimilated better than
raw soybeans, and that the pancreas has to work harder to digest the
raw soybeans. The reason given is that cooking not only kill enzymes
but also enzyme inhibitors which are really like negative enzymes.
Unfortunately there was no study on soaked soybeans.

Now my question. What about raw flax seeds. Since flax seed oil is
so rapidly denatured, I choose to use blended flax seeds instead.
I tried soaking flax seeds but they output a sticky mucilage. What
is this mucilage, should I wash this off and continue try sprouting.
Would this waist good nutrients. Or should I soak until the mucilage
comes out and then air dry the whole mess. Ideas?

Frank Wuts