RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Mayne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 15:13:00 -0400
I have adapted this from my notes of a Viktoras lecture/food prep
talk he gave over 3 years ago.

Ingredients:

3 cups of hulled sunflower seed
2-3 medium carrots
2-3 stalks celery
1 small red beet
1/2 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2-3 heaping tablespoons ground chili powder (not hot)
2-3 oz tamari (optional)

Grind sunflower seeds to a very fine flour-like coarsness, can
use either a good blendor or food processor (I use the S blade
of food processor - if you use a blendor, it may take more than
one round to grind all three cups - you can also use a wooden
spoon to coax seeds torward blade in blendor). Put in sunflower
flour in large bowl. Finely grate 2 cups of carrots, 1 cup of celery,
1/2 cup of beet in food processor, and then add to bowl with
flour. Finely chop 1/2 cup of onions, and run the cloves of
garlic through garlic press, add to mixture. Add in the chili
powder and the tamari to the mixure. Get a large spoon, and
knead the mix in the bowl for a few minutes (elbow grease here),
until the mixture becomes the consistency of a loaf. At this
point, you can eat the loaf as is, set the loaf in warm place
to ferment for 12-24 hours, or make make patties and dehydrate
the mixure. I often take the loaf, and form small (1-2in diameter)
patties, which I put in the dehydrator for 24-32 hours (don't mash
the patties on the teflon sheet of the dehydrator, or it may get stuck)
at 110-115 degrees.  Makes about 20 patties at this size. Once
dried, store in bags or other container. Will keep for 7-14 days
room temperature. Pretty handy for travel or backpacking trips.

- Use soaked or sprouted sunflower seeds, best to dry seeds thoroughly
before grinding into powder.
- Instead of beet and chili powder, try the above with 1/2 cup of
grated red bell pepper, and 2-3 tablespoons of curry powder.

I was told that Dick Gregory used to take these seed patties, put
a slice of cheese on top, and melt the cheese in an oven to get his
burger "fix".

Regards,

David