RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellie Rotunno <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:28:56 -0700
Update on food combining:

I like to correlate my eating plan with established physiology and have
been studying up on the metabolism of proteins, lipids, and
carbohydrates. When the physiology text talks of 2-3 hours for the
digestion of protein, I think they refer to cooked meats that must
depend on the body's enzymes. Since I eat  meat and fat raw--juicing it
in my mouth and spitting out the rest--it has its own digestive enzymes
and may go through quickly along with simple sugars that need no
digestion--in honey and dates for example. I read that cells
take up amino acids from the blood within 10-15 minutes and immediately
conjugate them to form proteins. Perhaps this accounts for the "rush"
about an hour or less after eating raw meat or fish that Kirt once
mentioned--unlike a sugar high and more like a feeling of good nutrients
flowing into the cells. I notice this too, especially when I eat a piece
of meat or fish that is particularly delicious. If this is true, then
digestion of raw proteins and fats may be quick.

While labile proteins are continually broken down and reformed, perhaps
assimilation is more efficient if cells get some co-factors from fruits
and vegetables and energy from lipids and glucose along with the protein.
Animal food is a mix of protein and fat. I think there is some sense to
the way people traditionally eat. The primates who wrap green leaves
around their meat and 'wad' it--chew and spit the rest out--and the
Japanese who naturally serve seaweed with sashimi are making sure they
get some co-factors to help synthesize protein and metabolize fats and
sugars. People have naturally eaten sweet desserts following a meal.

Eating only one fruit or vegetable per meal until I get a stop as
recommended by some Instinctos has been impractical for me to do and has
left me unsatisfied and craving food in between meals. I don't believe I
am able to get the variety of nutrients I need at the right time. So, I
am experimenting with the following food plan, which I consider eating
instinctively.

several fruits or vegetables--fat--protein (or fatty protein)--sugar.
Here's a sample day:

9-10 AM 1 kiwi, 1 orange, 10  grapes, 1 pear, 1 oz. flax seed, 2 eggs, 2
slices dried banana.

12-1 PM 1 stalk celery, 2 basil leaves, handful of lettuce, sprig
parsley, 4 oz. raw Beefalo liver from pastured animals--frozen since I
can't get it not frozen-- 2 tbs. honey.

4-5 PM 2 tomatoes, 1/2 yellow pepper, 1 bite carrot, 8 oz raw fatty
mackerel, 2 tbs. honey.

7 PM 1 apple, 1 oz walnuts, 4 dates.

I seem to be attracted to fatty foods and natural sugar. With my history
of lung tumor and pancreas problems, this seems to fit with Aajounus'
findings that fatty animal food and honey are beneficial for those
problems. I've been eating this way for a couple of weeks, and while it's
too soon to evaluate the results, my digestion is good, my skin looks
great and I notice an improvement in my short term memory which was
impaired for years. I find when I introduce a new food that my body
needs, I have some detox of my lungs usually for about 24 hr. and then
improved breathing. My body fat is 26%-- 27% is excellent for my age of
69 according to the people who tested me. I gained 5 lb and am now 118lb
which I think is OK for my height of 5ft. 8in.

The most important thing I'm looking at is whether I have natural
hunger--that tingly feeling in the back of the mouth and usually I
salivate when I think about what I'm going to eat. If I don't have
natural hunger I try to hold off--notice I say 'try' since I don't always
succeed.. Often I don't have this natural hunger in the morning until
after a BM and usually I go again between meals, but I find I don't have
to clear my bowels before I have natural hunger again. I also make sure I
don't still have hunger at the end of a meal. If I do, I eat  more honey
until I'm satisfied.

Do any of you find you are guided by this natural hunger for when and how
much to eat?

My best, Ellie