RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 21:13:06 -0700
Dariusz ROZYCKI <[log in to unmask]>:
>I understand their workings in sproutable nuts, seeds and grains, but am
>not sure about dried fruits (raisins and such), seaweed or even honey (or
>pollen).  Could anyone comment on the status of the enzymes in those foods?
>In other words, just how ALIVE are these foods?

Tom:
That depends on the temperatures the foods were dried at. Some writers claim
enzymes are destroyed at 118 degrees F, others cite lower temperatures
(104 degrees F). Foods that are dried at low temperatures will lose less
enzymes than those dried under heat.

Side note: enzymes are not the life force. Seeds can be heated above 118 degrees
F, and many will sprout nicely! Many fruits are heated above that temperature
to kill fruit fly larvae (hot water dip required for importation to many
countries).

P.S. the topic of hot water dips has been discussed here, also enzymes. Check
the archives. Also, I invite other list members to respond to your question.

Regards,
Tom Billings