RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 05:14:23 -0800
Hi Lucia

Sure do--

Lucia Wright wrote:

> does anyone have an opinion on whether smoked fish is cooked?

I purchase smoked fish from a company in Maine for my food co-op.
Smoked fish is marinated or soaked in a mixture then placed in a
confined area where it is either heat smoked or cold smoked.  Cold
smoked fish is kept at relatively low temperatures and is raw and the
fish will look moist.  Heat smoked fish is cooked.  Most smoked
fish is heat smoked cooked except for smoked salmon.

It's called Duck Trap.  They offer cold smoked tuna and cold smoked
salmon.  This company does NOT add nitrates, nitrates or
refined sugar to the fish.  Most companies do.  I believe it is
healthier to avoid all those additives.  BTW also smoked meats nearly
always are heat smoked plus have nitrates/nitrates added.  Oh the Duck
Trap plain smoked mackeral is absolutely  delicious (yum...) and just
responding to this email makes me want to order from them this week.
They sell wholesale only but your local health food store might have
their stuff.

Eating heavy amounts of smoked fish was very popular prior to the
development of refrigeration as it was easy to preserve fish this way.
But if you live exclusively on smoked fish there is evidence it will
create cancer.  However eating it once in a while or less than all the
time is OK.

Additionally smoked meats and fish often have sugar, nitrates and
nitrates added.  Those are unhealthy.  Nitrates and nitrates are added
for color and should be avoided as they are known carcinogens.

regards

roberta