RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 06:39:43 -0800
Ben Odom wrote:

> >Irene replied:
> >
> >> Have to be careful on this one, Wes.  Avidin is a factor in raw egg
> >> whites which can destroy biotin (a nutrient) in the body.  Cooking
> >> destroys the avidin, and makes the biotin more available to the body.
> >
> >Carol wonders:
> >
> >How many of you folks out there eat raw egg white?  My personal
> >take on eggs is that only the yolk should really be eaten, raw
> >or cooked.
>
> As far as I understand, there are several different takes on the
> Albumin/Biotin combination issue.

Not to say that you're misrepresenting me, but just to be quite clear
about what I was saying...  My reasons for not eating egg white have
nothing whatsoever to do with the whole biotin business.  Like I said
earlier, I don't get hung up on vitamin issues much, since even things
that are unarguably nasty often have plenty of 'em.  (In other words,
I'm not going to try to find a way to eat poison oak just because it
may have tons of vitamin A in it.)

Ben continued abbreviatedly:

> ...Raw whole eggs seem to be a fairly important part of my raw intake.
> While I do not consume them every day, I typically consume 2-3 dozen
> per week, and notice a great benefit in energy from doing so.

2-3 DOZEN per WEEK??!!  Is that a typo, Ben?

Yours in amazement,
Carol