RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 20:57:17 -0500
Nieft / Secola, having a lot of fun about "vegetarian" chickens, wrote:

> Fish meal additives are probably the only thing avoided (and
> probably to the chicken's detriment nutritionally).

Not to break in on the good times, but while I'm quite familiar with adding
kelp to chicken feed, fish meal seems new.  Do you know this for a fact?  And,
is it known to help?  If so, I may talk to my feed man.

> I would say that a truly vegetarian chicken has never foraged a moment in
> its life since it would then never have a chance at an insect.

Almost---caged chickens do seem to enjoy the flies and other bugs that flock to
their droppings.

To answer any and all questions: chickens eagerly eat anything including
cracked eggs, occassionally their live or fallen comrades, and dead fish for
that matter.  Yes, they love fresh greens (grass, weeds, herbs) and they go
beserk when you throw chickweed in the pen.  I guess it's well named.

Regards,
Rex Harrill