RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pat Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 22:30:00 -0500
>  Ombodhi Thoren St. John, 21, was cited by Santa
>Clara County sheriff's deputies and charged with
>willful disobedience of a court order -- a tempo-
>rary restraining order issued Friday to stop area
>residents from blocking the road.

Bodhi, I'm proud of you, admire you, and wish you success. The euphemism,
"harvest", sickens me I have been supporting the Asso. of Forest Service
Employees for Environmental Ethics (AFSEEE) for a few years in a small
way.They are against past and current forest mng. practice, and risk their
jobs to say so. I boil when I read of the "harvest" of old forest growth,a
euphemism for stark murder, particularly  of our spectacular redwoods. The
Asso. had a picture from the air of the clear cutting in Oregon, Wash, and
CA, and it sickens the soul. Such greed doesn't even serve it's own country,
but trades our heritage for filthy lucre.

I was about 45 years old, living in a condominium which had about five trees
in a central 1 to 2acre common area and two in front of our building of
seven units. One morning I heard a chain saw and tore outside, "they" had
already topped the other tree, shearing down the branches, and cutting it
down to the ground. I tried to call the dastardley manager our condo board
had had so much trouble with, but no answer.I went out and sat in front of
that tree and told those guys they could go take a long break, 'cause I
wasn't moving, and to touch me was a personal violation I wouldn't take
kindly to in or out of court. They laughed and sat back to watch the show.

I won. The manager was fired. We moved, but a friend writes at christmas to
tell me all is well with "my" tree.

Why don't we fire The Dept. of Interior, USDA, the county commisioners, and
start a class action suit against Georgia Pacific lumber and all others who
have destroyed hundreds of years of forest without a glance up from the
bottom line? We have the devastation of islands whose peoples are now unable
to feed themselves as incontestable proof of the fiaal results of this insanity.

I have thought of the power of the internet in such violations of our rights
as have become paralegal, and we need redress. If we contacted all mailing
groups where we were known, or where we were known to a known list member,
and all contributed to a legal fee, we might even find a lawyer or two who
sees the noble purpose and the chance to really do a thing for posterity and
his own immortality for whatever fee we could pay...this could be a vehicle
for getting heard in this insensitive,top heavy govt. bureaucracy, what do
you think?

Go, Bodhi, go for it!!

Pat