RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:36:25 -0400
Liza,

> Paul, Are you aware of the problem of the recirculated air on
> airplanes? A couple of years ago there was a much publicized suit
> brought by flight attendants against the airlines for subjecting
> them to this health hazard. Evidently coming down with the flu and
> colds and other viruses carried in the stale air is a very common
> occurence.

Yes, I do know about these problems; I also think the exposure to
radiation from frequent high-alititude flying is a concern. But I did
fly very often without catching many 'bugs', or experiencing any
obvious
negative effects on my health, during 1997 - 1998.  But I never ate
airline whole meals and as I was improving my diet started avoided all
airplane snacks or  beverages aside from spring water (that chicken
was
the first and last time I will eat airline food aside from maybe
picking
at the greens of a tiny salad).

Not excusing the quality of air, but if attendants are eating
airline-style food as a diet as they do, they are naturally going to
be
quite susceptible to getting sick just like the general population, no
matter what the air quality. Probably working in a typical window-free
office building is nearly as hazardous with the copy machines,
computer
radiation, etc. I suppose having to deal with changing schedules,
delays,
and jet lag could also hurt their immune systems.

Paul